Texas to NorCal

stickman

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Ramsey
Hi folks

My wife and I are heading to Austin on Friday to meet up with a couple of college buddies from the UK. We are going to see the eclipse, then take a road trip back to NorCal. We are interested in food, booze, music, yarn, and beautiful countryside.

Franklin BBQ is already on the list - any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

Ramsey

----------------------------
P+S Maverick 2000 (coming soon!); Klose 20x36 Pipe Smoker; Engelbrecht Braten 1000; BGE XL; Weber 22" with rotisserie; Camp Chef 900 FTG; Camp Chef Somerset 4-burner stove; Traeger 15x22; Breville Control Freak

I'll second Mike's suggestion of Gruene Hall with eating at the Grist Mill in Gruene.

Couple of Austin honky tonks i like are The Broken Spoke and The Continental Club.

My Austin BBQ recommendations are Franklin's, Valentina's and Stiles Switch.

A good site for Austin stuff is https://do512.com/

Back in NorCal after a 3000 mile road trip ...

Landed in Austin and visited Franklin's, unfortunately timing was bad so could not dine there, but did manage to snag a pic.
20240406_111711 small.jpg
Caught the eclipse north-west of Fredericksburg through a few breaks in the clouds, then drove back east to Lockhart where we were able to visit Blacks
20240407_130804 small.jpg
Lunch was amazing and inspirational, I am seeing many beef plate ribs in my future!
20240407_122819 small.jpg
Also had dinner at the Grist Mill before checking out Gruene Hall
20240408_181947.jpg
20240408_172727.jpg
20240408_192620.jpg
On the way back we stayed at Lubbock - nicer than you might think - the VLA at Soccoro (of the movie Contact fame), cooked a tritip on a tiny, tiny charcoal grill at a cabin in Williams (a bit of improvisation required to make it work, but it came out pretty good), visited the Grand Canyon, London Bridge at Lake Havasu, visited my son in San Diego and took in Sequoia National Park on the way back to NorCal. Great trip all round, and many thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited:
I’m glad ya made it to Gruene hall, and Blacks, and seen a bit of the eclipse. It sounds like ya had fun.

Back