MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
jeffostroff
Found some matches.

Default My first post: Can't find South Florida BBQ competitions, even on KCBS site

Hi guys, I'm Jeff from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, not exactly the BBQ belt I realize. Just to let you guys know that most people here in Florida have no clue what real BBQ is, and I'm still not impressed by one single restaurant in south Florida for BBQ at all. Most people think you just throw it on the grill and add Open Pit, and that’s que!

In fact after eating my own recipe for baby back ribs, my family and I simply can't go to any restaurant and spend money on poorly cooked “voted best bbq in Florida…”, it's just a let down compared to what we make at home.

So I thought I might ease my way into some local comps, but I cannot seem to find any. I checked the Kansas City Barbeque Society web site search function, but they are showing nothing in Florida coming up. I understand there was one in Dade City recently.

Anyone here know where I can find any competitions coming up in South Florida? I'd like to go be a fly on the wall at a few or maybe apprentice on a team.
jeffostroff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

check with the FBA.. Florida BBQ Association.

and heres the contest schedule.

Also, Smokin Cracker, Smoking gator and The kapn on this site are some of the florida teams that are here on this forunm often. Send them a PM.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
jeffostroff
Found some matches.

Thanks, that list was just what I was looking for! In fact, the event on that list is coming up:

June 19-20, 2009 Grillin in the Gardens Palm Beach Gardens, FL (FBA)

is only 45 minutes from my house. It's also a Jack Daniels qualifier.

One more question, I wanted to share my process and recipe for the most perfect tasting, moist tender meat Christmas turkey, and my how-to with complete pictorial and step by step recipe that still has my family talking about it months later. Am I allowed to post a link to my web site where I have my article posted and the photos?

jeffostroff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffostroff View Post
Am I allowed to post a link to my web site where I have my article posted and the photos?
its ok to link offsite, but include a snippet prior to the link so folks know what/why they are linking to.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45240

also, since this is your first post.. check out our welcome section for the forum guidelines and also stop by Cattle Call and say hi to everyone.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

Also, Smokin Cracker, Smoking gator and The kapn on this site are some of the florida teams that are here on this forunm often. Send them a PM.
A-hem....
Look for us at the PBG contest Jeff.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
A-hem....
Look for us at the PBG contest Jeff.

oops.... brainfart.

yeah.. RUB too..

but u dont have to worry about those Swamp Boys.

NOT!

Geezzz... talk about a brainfart..

HomeBBQ is here too... and lots of others.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Phil, we understand. We know your in much pain what with your sore foot and all.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote