• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef Short Ribs

DanPop

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm about to smoke some beef short ribs, wanted to know what you guys think...should I smoke them whole or cut the ribs and smoke them individually? I would think keeping them together will be better, not as dry, but I could be wrong. It's happened before, according to the wife

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 199
This is a bark issue.

I would keep them whole, as the meat inside will be better.

Some would separate them, as the bark outside will be more.

Cook them whole for sure.

Then I treat them the same as pork ribs when they are done.
I cut them to individual bones, dust the cut sides with rub, and throw them on the grill for a couple of minutes per cut side.
Fantastic flavor "Pop" from the rub and extra char. 8)

Great Eats!

TIM

Cook them whole for sure.

Then I treat them the same as pork ribs when they are done.
I cut them to individual bones, dust the cut sides with rub, and throw them on the grill for a couple of minutes per cut side.
Fantastic flavor "Pop" from the rub and extra char. 8)

Great Eats!

TIM

Oh man Timster, I've never even thought of doing that. What a great idea.

I always cook mine whole .... It also gives you options when you serve .. By the bone , or debone and slice cross grain in serving size slices ....

Oh man Timster, I've never even thought of doing that. What a great idea.

Yeah--I been keeping this to myself for the last couple of years till I made sure it works all the time. 8)
It does.

Killer flavor.

TIM

I'm thinking these are going to be my labor day cook.
The couple of times that I've done them the were cut small
in 2" squares. I want to try them like these. How many lb's is that?

Any place that sells the small chunks of cut up short ribs should have full cryobags in the back. They just run them through the meat saw because they ASSUME everyone wants little tiny squares of meat.

They turned out great, thanks all!

They look great!

I used to work for an engineering firm owned by Koreans and this is how they did it. If you want to try something different, next time separate them, butterfly the meat and marinate overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, sugar and beer. When cooking them turn frequently and mop occasionally with the marinade.

Those look great!
Awesome idea Tim - will have to try that next time.

Back