MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
PorkysBBQ1
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Can anyone help with my turn ins

We need some help. We have been competing for about 3 years and get some calls but not on a regular basis and not any in the top 5. I have attached a few pictures of our turn ins from the Royal this year. We are also looking for help with our flavor profiles. We are mostly using sweet and moderate on heat.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 011.jpg (27.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 012.jpg (31.5 KB, 183 views)
PorkysBBQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
tigercc
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The question I have is what your scores normally look like for taste and tenderness in each category. You can have all 9's in appearance but if you are getting killed in taste or tenderness it doesn't matter. On your flavor profiles, what are you currently using?
tigercc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i personally use just enough heat to open up and waken the taste buds.
nothing you can really pick out. but its there.
look around here for turn in box pictures. you'll find some great examples on how to improve.
welcome!
and good smoking luck!
lord i hate that guy....

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Taste and tenderness you will obviously have to find on your own, as a CBJ, if you are gonna use garnish, fill it up, let the meat rest on it like a gentle cloud...or not.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
PorkysBBQ1
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the reply. We are all over mostly in the 6 to 7 range on both. We do get some 8s and have received a few 9s. Thats why it is so perplexing to us. I have looked into taking a top end class. Thanks for your thoughts
PorkysBBQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkysBBQ1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. We are all over mostly in the 6 to 7 range on both. We do get some 8s and have received a few 9s. Thats why it is so perplexing to us. I have looked into taking a top end class. Thanks for your thoughts
Been there, done that. Best advice I ever got was to take a class once a year. You won't be able to copy anything exactly from a class. You will still have to practice a lot, adapt recipes to your equipment, learn how to fix things that go wrong (power failures, freak storms, forgetting key ingredients at home , etc.) but it will help a lot with the "what the heck are the judges looking for?" question.

You might not even need a class from an elite team, just a good team in your region can probably teach you a lot, and for a smaller investment.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote