MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Talking Mile High Smoked Homemade Pastrami Sammie on Fresh Deli Rye

Last weekend, I picked up a nice section of corned beef flat so I could take my second stab at Pastrami.

My first attempt, done about 5 years ago, was a complete unmitigated train wreck. I won't go into all the Gore-y details,() but I was still a young Noobian at the time and just didn't think things through, despite trying Thirdeye's excellent tutorial, so not reading through everything carefully, among other things, made for a culinary disaster. We wound up eating hot dogs that night the end result was so utterly inedible.

So after perusing numerous pastrami approaches, I decided on something I felt would produce the results I was hoping for. I would have more pics for you, but didn't document everything blow by blow as the lighting in our new place just isn't that conducive for good photos. I remedied that in the final sammie photo with good results using white butcher paper as my surface, along with a 40 watt light kit that helped compensate for the poor indoor lighting.

So let's get started.

First, I took the 3 lb uncooked store bought corned beef brisket flat, and put it in water in a large cooking pot in the fridge, covered it, and changed the water 4 times over the course of 24 hours to help pull out as much sodium as possible. We pulled the meat from the water, patted it dry, and let it come to room temp for a bit. Then a rub was generously applied to the meat that consisted of LOTS of fresh ground black pepper, coriander, smoked paprika, mustard, onion, and garlic powders.

I then fired up the UDS, and when it got to 275, added three chunks of pecan for smoke, and put the meat on, fat side up. Here my UDS, chugging away:

About an hour into the cook:

Three hours later:

As with any brisket cut, you need to gauge doneness by "feel", not temp, although when you get close to 180 degrees internal, that's when you want to monitor things more closely. When my probe thermo slid in like butter in all quadrants, I knew the meat was done. Total cook time was about 5 1/2 hours.

I took the meat off to cool for a few hours, then put in the fridge.

It was at this point I was kind of unsure where to go in terms of meat prep, so I consulted The Missus. While a number of approaches suggested steaming the meat in hunks prior to slicing by hand she strongly recommended we slice the meat first, then steam. I wasn't fully onboard with this at first, but as usual, her food science background convinced me this might be a good way to go, so I agreed. She also suggested bringing out the meat slicer we bought a while back, so we could get nice thin slices of pastrami, just like they do in delis.

So here's the meat after we took it out of the fridge, fully cooled:

Coming out of the slicer:

All meat fully sliced, and ready to be steamed:

Close up:

The Missus McGyvered a steamer by using two halves of a large roasting pan, separated by a pizza screen, which we placed the meat slices on:

We steamed the meat for about 20 mins, and when we lifted the cover, the slices of pastrami were juicy, tender, and delicious.

At this point, our mouths were watering, so we began on sandwich construction, which was accompanied by fresh pickle spears, and potato chips. Generous amounts of French's yellow mustard was applied to my sammich as I ate it, and I have to say, I enjoyed each and every bite, beyond description!

It feels really good to vindicate past failures!

And a BIG thanks to The Missus, whose wise post cook advice helped yield the best pastrami sammies we've ever tasted!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
IamMadMan

Where does the line start to get one of those???
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Looks great. One question, does the steaming make that big of a difference in your mind? I have made once before without steaming and it was really good. Was steaming worth the extra step?
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

^^^Wondering that too Moose.

Sure looks good!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

ARE YOU SURE you have enough Pastrami in that Sammich!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
gtr

Excellent work yet again! When I get done going all over the place I wanna try making some pastrami.

The UDS looks happy in it's new home!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvegaugepump View Post
Looks great. One question, does the steaming make that big of a difference in your mind? I have made once before without steaming and it was really good. Was steaming worth the extra step?
Having tasted the meat before steaming and after, the answer is a resounding yes! Big difference, and I plan on doing it this way moving FW. The meat was noticeably more tender after steaming.
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
slow-smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you nailed it Moose. I love pastrami, and that sandwich is making my stomach growl!

-[B]Mike[/B]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]48" Klose Backyard Chef[/COLOR], Primo Oval XL[/SIZE]

Stealth-Grey Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
slow-smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Damn, wish they were serving that in our cafeteria today, looks killer!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Excellent work yet again! When I get done going all over the place I wanna try making some pastrami.

The UDS looks happy in it's new home!
+1. That looked awesome! I gotta try making some.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Perfect!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Arg1129
On the road to being a farker

Great looking cook. I have been wanting to try this but fear the brisket cut. Good Job!!!
[COLOR="Green"]Brit Racing Green[/COLOR] Thermapen
Mavrick ET732
Arg1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Oh... Wow!

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Okay, just stop... you're killin' me here. It's dinnertime, and we aren't gonna eat for at least a couple of hours!

MAN THAT LOOKS GOOD!

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote