Fairbanks, IN... Turn Ins

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Here are photos of my turn ins for Fairbanks, IN, on June 2. We did badly in 2 categories, top half in a third and 2nd in one.

chixbox.jpg

ribbox.jpg

porkbox.jpg

briskbox.jpg

Looks good. What were your appearance scores?

I'm not sure which got which score ... but they look good to me!

What would you give them? I'll put up the scores in a bit... I have to find them!

my 2 cents, Chicken 6, Ribs 8, pork 8, and brisket 6.

Reasons, Chicken looked over sauced, the ribs and pork look awesome and the brisket looked a bit dry.

I am interested in hearing how you actually scored.

Chicken was oversauced.... 687867, but over all 5th from the bottom, due to oversaucing, I think.

Ribs weren't done enough... 898878, tenderness hurt us... 3rd from the bottom

Pork was good... actually thought it would do better... 12th overall, I think... 887769

Brisket came in 2nd... And it wasn't dry, didn't actually look dry, but it's hard in photos a lot of the time... 877986.

We got one 999 score on brisket, and a 998 on pork... Pork scores aren't too erratic, but could have been more uniform. Rib scores were nuts... three scores, 866, 865, 865 were probably about right, though I think I would have done more like 875 myself, but one judge gave us a 989... he was wrong. :)

It was great getting a 2nd, though.. our best so far.

Nice job Curt... Still very solid looking boxes...

I would guess you are using a dunking method with a fairly heavy sauce on the thighs..

Looks good overall as usual for you. Have you considered a glaze for your chicken next time?

Looks good overall as usual for you. Have you considered a glaze for your chicken next time?

Mike, we want a sauce that's a lot thinner, more like a glaze, but still bbq sauce. I think the will help a lot.

Back