MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #61
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvSmoke View Post
Mooo baby mooo,

Be careful....you could get stampeded eating this.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #62
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I'm used to "medium" chicken, too. At first I was not too sure, but when I lived in Hong Kong, it was often served where the joints would be bloody. I got used to it and now I quite like it that way. Most people I know though, especially here on the forum would not eat it.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #63
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Michael,

What say you about the bloody chicken question?
I'd say you better click on this link if you don't know why.

http://tinyurl.com/3bdg3yx
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #64
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

I think he is saying "If chicken were, by some miracle, suddenly safe to eat rare, would you?
WvSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #65
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvSmoke View Post
I think he is saying "If chicken were, by some miracle, suddenly safe to eat rare, would you?
And I'd say nice strawman.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #66
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
And I'd say nice strawman.
Michael,

A strawman argument would be, You prefer your beef rare, therefore you prefer your chicken rare. Nobody claimed that.

I simply asked you a question....if salmonella was not an issue, would you prefer chicken that is rare?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #67
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Michael,

A strawman argument would be, You prefer your beef rare, therefore you prefer your chicken rare. Nobody claimed that.

I simply asked you a question....if salmonella was not an issue, would you prefer chicken that is rare?
At this point I would say

Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #68
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
I'm used to "medium" chicken, too. At first I was not too sure, but when I lived in Hong Kong, it was often served where the joints would be bloody. I got used to it and now I quite like it that way. Most people I know though, especially here on the forum would not eat it.
This has everything to do with safety, not preference. The way chickens are processed, 1 in 3 are contaminated with salmonella. In other countries, they are not processed the same way and you have a much lower chance of getting ill (on the order of 1:10,000). Eating rare and medium rare chicken is common in much of the world, but not in the USA where we have high-technology processing to spread the contamination everywhere . When we started exporting chicken outside our borders, many people got ill and died. I eat duck rare and have no problem with that (it is not processed the same), so I don't think I'd have any problem eating chicken rare or medium rare.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #69
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
This has everything to do with safety, not preference. The way chickens are processed, 1 in 3 are contaminated with salmonella. In other countries, they are not processed the same way and you have a much lower chance of getting ill (on the order of 1:10,000). Eating rare and medium rare chicken is common in much of the world, but not in the USA where we have high-technology processing to spread the contamination everywhere . When we started exporting chicken outside our borders, many people got ill and died. I eat duck rare and have no problem with that (it is not processed the same), so I don't think I'd have any problem eating chicken rare or medium rare.
Gore,

You can't be in the club either.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #70
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Gore,

You can't be in the club either.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #71
bigabyte

I want in the club. But only so I can get kicked out.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #72
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
For those who prefer steaks medium well or well done, what is it that makes that your preference?
Hi!

I can answer that easily. For me -- it's the taste of the blood first, that taste grosses me out to no end. You know how blood has that metallic taste? I taste that in bloody meat. Like licking a hammer or the back of a cast iron frying pan. Second, my mouth finds a medium steak a lot chewier than a well done steak. Third, the look of the pink and 'the idea' of it not being cooked through is a turnoff. I really love well done steak. I love the charcoal taste, I love the well-done texture, I love the juiciness -- I find my steak has all that if it's taken off the grill around 170'F. Since joining this forum I've learned a lot about cooking meat and I've just started taking it's temperature before removing it from the heat. I make way better steaks now thanks to my brethren, I don't have so many pink ones to give my partner to eat for me and I don't make 'too overdone hard ones' anymore, either. There is a big difference between a 170'F steak and a 190' or 200'F steak though I'd rather eat a 200'F one over a 150'F.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #73
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Hi!

I can answer that easily. For me -- it's the taste of the blood first, that taste grosses me out to no end. You know how blood has that metallic taste? I taste that in bloody meat. Like licking a hammer or the back of a cast iron frying pan. Second, my mouth finds a medium steak a lot chewier than a well done steak. Third, the look of the pink and 'the idea' of it not being cooked through is a turnoff. I really love well done steak. I love the charcoal taste, I love the well-done texture, I love the juiciness -- I find my steak has all that if it's taken off the grill around 170'F. Since joining this forum I've learned a lot about cooking meat and I've just started taking it's temperature before removing it from the heat. I make way better steaks now thanks to my brethren, I don't have so many pink ones to give my partner to eat for me and I don't make 'too overdone hard ones' anymore, either. There is a big difference between a 170'F steak and a 190' or 200'F steak though I'd rather eat a 200'F one over a 150'F.
1.21 gigawatts?! - Dr. Brown & Marty - Back to the future - YouTube

Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #74
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
To each his own. But I don't get why the rare and medium well crowd is so militant.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Ron,
Did I really write that or was that some Mod Magic? Too Funny. I totally meant to write rare and medium rare crowd...

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #75
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Interesting discussion so far. I've already mentioned my preferences. I prefer the texture, tenderness and flavor better at rare to med rare. For those who prefer steaks medium well or well done, what is it that makes that your preference?

I don't like the squishy, stringy texture of rare. I like it better when the center has just started to firm up. I will agree the flavor can be better, especially when compared to well.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote