MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Dieting and BBQ....dare I ask

I am in love with BBQ. I started cooking with lump from a gasser last summer and have fallen in love with it.

I tried the smoker with a WSM 22.5 but learned quickly that I am not a huge smoker type.

I have an OTG 22.5 now and have really been learning the basics. I can smoke when I need to, grill when I want and I have learned about direct and indirect.

I am planning on picking up a Kamado Joe big Joe in March and I can't wait, it is perfect for the kind of Q guy that I am.

I am into leaner cuts of meat, fish, chicken and enjoy good cuts of red meat. I am not a huge ribs and pork but type (I'm soooo sorry)

I have made a new years resolution this year to get back in shape. I am on a goal to lose 35lbs this year to get back to where I should be in weight.

I am following weight watchers and I am curious to see if anyone else follows this and what they do to fulfill the Q addiction while eating clean on a diet.

Sorry to use the 'diet' word here I didn't want to ruin anyones day

Thanks for the comments

Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Pork Loins, White meat chicken and Turkey, is the way to go.. My Family is on this health kick but if you brine your white meat and smoke it.. it taste really good..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
cb25
Full Fledged Farker

I would think it depends on what kind of "diet" you follow. There are definitely ways to do what you want though and have good success.

As long as blood pressure/sodium isn't an issue, then brining is a great solution to get tasty lean white meats. If sodium is something you're concerned with, then brining needs to be limited. Adjust your rubs, etc - you can make good Q without the added sugars, etc (which is obviously more necessary if you're following a lower carb - atkins, southbeach, paleo/primal type of diet). If you're not necessarily limiting carbs, then a little bit of sugar in the rub may be OK for you -- it really all depends.

I'd add fish/seafood to the list of things to eat also. Salmon is great and a fantastic source of healthy fat - other white fish, etc are extremely lean. You will have lots of options, just keep an eye on what you're doing and what your overall goals and guidelines need to be.
cb25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Pepper and most spices have no calories/fat/fiber. Watch the sugars and have fun. Most guys around here say S&P on a brisket is about as good eatin' as there gets. You can do things like seasoned salt on a pork butt (I know not a pork guy but one of my favorites). Tri-tip (one of my favorites that is the smoke/grill lean meats) is salt pepper and gralic. Even my grilled chicken wings (Lemon Juice and cilantro and franks red hot) is almost zero added calories.

BBQ with out glazes and sauces is as bout as healthy as you can hope for with a ton of flavor.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I dropped 40# a couple years back while smoking and grilling all the way. I had good luck just with portion control, eating plenty of veggies and fruit, and basically cutting out the starchy stuff.

You might find some good threads here on the subject of watching what you eat.

Obviously physical activity is a necessary component to losing weight as well.

Good on ya for getting back on track!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Found a savory rub recipe that is sugar/salt free.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=12

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
16Adams

No flour-no sugar-no processed foods. Lost 80 lbs in two years.

So what did I eat?? Meat, seafood, greens, beans, vegetables, fresh fruit, nuts and seeds.
Nothing fried as that usually involves flour. Nothing that comes packaged in cellophane. Drank lite beer and dry red wine for adult beverages.

Eat To Live by Dr Joel Furhman
No Flour No Sugar Diet by Dr Gott

So cook you out a big ol porterhouse, a bowl of chopped blue cheese salad, Parmesan garlic roasted Brussels sprouts with a beer while you cook and a glass of Merlot while you eat. Your on a diet.

Usually I will have a spinach omelet and fruit for breakfast. Beans and salad for lunch and grilled meat with veggies for supper. If your hungry EAT. Just no flour no sugar no processed food.

I eased up on the intensity a tad by adding a small amount of bread during the holidays. Yep- weight started creeping up.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Grilled meats and vegitables. the key to dieting and using your equipment more
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I lost 100 lbs over the course of 7 or 8 years, and have kept the majority of it off for over 2 years. Went from 285 down to 175. Right now, I'm probably 185-190.

My secret? Lots of exercise, almost zero fast or fried food, no processed meats or pre-cooked meals from the store. OK, I have an occasional frozen pizza maybe once every other month. I eat pretty much as much as I want, but I avoid anything that's been pumped full of salt or has no nutritional value.

All the rubs and sauces I make are low sodium and light on sugar. I do eat a lot of carbs, but I burn them off. I also eat an inordinate amount of hot peppers in the meals I prep. My blood pressure used to be beyond unhealthy, now it's in the good range. Basically, a complete lifestyle change from how I used to eat and take care of myself.

I enjoy food more now too. On the rare occasion I have to eat fast food, it tastes completely bland, not satisfying at all.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

For me, I need to limit the Q to once a week and avoid the high carb sides with it. The other days of the week, I eat a more balanced diet (not a straight protein load).

P.S. Exercise is your friend.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I've had good luck with a no/low carb diet. BBQ - A.K.A. Protein (Minus the carb ladened sauce, rub and buns of course) . Here's a good website that I use to determine what's what... http://nutritiondata.self.com/ Good Luck!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I dropped 40# a couple years back while smoking and grilling all the way. I had good luck just with portion control, eating plenty of veggies and fruit, and basically cutting out the starchy stuff.

You might find some good threads here on the subject of watching what you eat.

Obviously physical activity is a necessary component to losing weight as well.

Good on ya for getting back on track!
Portion control was key for me so I definitely agree here . Took my body a while to realize I didn't need 3 helpings of things. I was never a super huge guy, but lost 40lbs by eating leaner meats with veggies and changing out processed carbs for fruits. Exercising was key as well. Also when I eat a bunch of bbq my sides are normally slaw or a veggie. Cutting back on the carbs helps.

You can definitely eat bbq on a diet, but it is all about the portion control. Good luck. You can do it!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck with your diet man! Don't overlook veggies in your grilling plans. I think if you eat more veggies and less meat it will help to keep the weight off. And I'm thinking veggies like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini and so on. Spuds are OK if you don't eat too many. I do big salads for dinner often. And cut out the late night snacks. That's one of the hardest parts for me.

The other side of the equation is exercise. SWMBO and I have achieved pretty decent weight loss by running marathons. She brought her blood sugar under control and avoided having to go on medications. I look even more buff than I did before. Running marathons takes a huge commitment and few will do that, but you get a significant benefit just from walking. If you want to magnify the results from walking, walk briskly. I'm sure you can think of other ways to exercise too. I think that cardio provides the most benefit but strength training helps too because muscle burns more calories than fat.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

As long as I keep running and cycling regularly I can pretty much eat everything and anything within reason. You've gotta increase your rate of metabolism by going aerobic. Dieting alone will not cut it. You'll eventually regain all your weight back, plus some more...

Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
scayne62
Full Fledged Farker

I lost 300lbs, than found my love for cooking que, I limit my portions and usually only eat que once a week. Occasionally I got ape **** and eat to much, I gain a pound or two and know I have to work that much harder to get it back off, the holidays kill me. I exercise everyday usually 2 times a day and have kept the weight off for almost 2 years, the lowest I achieved was 179, I am currently 195 from the holiday explosion but I will knock it back to 185-190 and I am happy there. The wife is an excellent cook and that does not help me at ALL. My biggest fight is portion control, my fat brain still sees food and thinks someone has to eat it all so it may as well be me so I have to try and override those thoughts with my skinny brain, easier said than done. Fought my weight my whole life until I said enough was enough. You can do it if you put your mind to it, cheat days are your friend to keep you on track.