I need some Markting help,Tips and Advice

nicerackbbqteam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We just started out in the BBQ Business and we have been cooking for friends and family for like 10 years and we are both Culinary Graduates

we just started to post our Flyer on Craigslist.com for free... we are getting calls but no one is booking there party and our prices are very competitive for our area
Starting around $13pp... 1apatizer 1meat 2sides &a bread and FREE Hot dogs for the Kids! and we don't Charge for "on site Cookin".. SO im asking for any help, advice or tips from my fellow BBQ Brothers:p

Starting around $13pp... 1apatizer 1meat 2sides &a bread and FREE Hot dogs for the Kids! and we don't Charge for "on site Cookin".. SO im asking for any help, advice or tips from my fellow BBQ Brothers:p

I'd say your on the high side.....but you ARE in Cali.

Maybe BBS or Neil can chime in.

yeah we are from San jose, Ca The BaY Area
i also just want to add that we cook ALL of our Side Fresh NO#10can of beans here lol

Hook up with some businesses you know or a real estate agent that specializes in commercial real estate. Tell them you will cook for their grand opening or special customer party or their favorite charity - donating the time if they pay for the cost of the meat.

The best advertising you can get when starting out is for people to sample your food. If it's great - you'll get business. If it's not making them happy - you'll know that too!

I would definitely be trying to get out and actually do some real life sampling more than just Craigslist. People don't get a feel for the product through Craigslist. If you can setup on a street somewhere, outside of some event, or even host some sort of event somewhere and advertise the heck out of it. Gotta make a connection with people more than just through the internet.

After that, might need to drop price a bit or give some sort of incentive (read coupon) to get people to try you. Word of mouth through experience will be your best advertising if you are working purely local.

Got a website? Pics and references on a website make things happen quicker.
Word of mouth is a great resource as well.

I did a human resource faire for free for 3 years (free samples), this helped get my name out to corporate entities.

thanks for the tip BBS!, so just call the covention center and ask?

btw, that is a great website, if I needed a catering job done in L.A, your website provided all details, and reviews to top that, and not loaded with fluff

I just want to take this time to THANK you guys for all the Tips, and advice just keep them coming!

Thank you

My wife is planing a Garage sale next week..My Team and i are Planing to set up and pass out FREE BBQ to whom ever comes by and we are going to pass out our New Flyers and Contact Info... Then the next week do the same thing at my Brothers house and my Cousins House.... Will that be a good Idea??

Are the people coming to the garage sale your target customer? If not, it's a bad idea in my opinion. There are quite a few companies that would be more than willing to at least cover the food cost and have you cook for an event for them. Another idea is local charity events that will have a bunch of businesses there. Something like a contractors golf tournament or something similar.

You know what i think there's a Farmers Market in San Jose.. i need to look into that
HEY! thanks for the TIP

If you plan to give some away, I've always thought a local firehouse could be a good place to sponsor a dinner. These guys have job$, days off and in my experience they like to party.

Are the people coming to the garage sale your target customer? If not, it's a bad idea in my opinion.

I'd question the benefit of the garage sale freebies.. Most of the people who routinely visit yard sales are looking for bargains.. Chances are if they are looking to save cash at your yard sale, the would not be likely to spend $ on a catered event.

that is true but im talking about people just sampling our food....plus the last time we had a "Garbage sale lol" we made $300 and we dident even put up sighs we just put our junk out

that is true but im talking about people just sampling our food....plus the last time we had a "Garbage sale lol" we made $300 and we dident even put up sighs we just put our junk out

May be what some of us are saying is that the folks who are garage sale regulars are not in the "sweet spot" for being potential catering customers ( I am sure there are exceptions). These folks may not be the ones who will drop $15 a head for 125 guests at a catered party.

You may be better off to talk with your local high school or JC about doing a fundraiser with them - Sports teams, cheerleaders, clubs are always looking for ways to fundraise. Do pre-sell tickets for a "drive up" dinner on a specified day and split the proceeds after expenses. Make sure your card or flyer is on every box or bag. You'll make some $$, do some good for a group, and get your name out all in one.

thanks for the tip BBS!, so just call the covention center and ask?

btw, that is a great website, if I needed a catering job done in L.A, your website provided all details, and reviews to top that, and not loaded with fluff

I was lucky enough to be asked throgh a connection. So, you may have to do some research and see what you come up with. Thanks for the compliments!:cool:

Your local Chamber of Commerce is always throwing parties and open houses. Plus they are there to help you as well.

I’d also look for bars that don’t normally serve food. Offer to cook on one of the big PGA, NASCAR, or baseball games. Advertise in the bar a couple weeks a head of time and pack his place during the day with a cheap plate of good BBQ. Pick the right bar that doesn’t serve food and he’ll pay to have you come back. They don’t make as much on the food but they double their beer sales. Hot and spicy BBQ makes for good beer sales.

We did this to practice cooks with our smoker full. I donated my time, he paid all expenses. He then sold a small 3 bone rib dinner for $5. The rest of his cliental made it a pot luck so he didn’t even have to buy sides and people ate well. The guys I have done this with just love it.

Hey we throw ramdon neighborhood partys. Gets people a taste, Got parties out of it

Back