Competition Teams using a Backwoods Gator

Fornia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Would love to hear from any competition teams out there who might be using a Backwoods Gator.

We're hoping to pull off butts, brisket, and ribs..and hopefully keep our plethora of backyard cookers in our backyards.

We're planning to have a local guy weld up a stand with casters, so if anyone has any insight....much appreciated there too.

I use Backwoods Fatboys and love them. I've done a comp with only one cooker, but having two (many thanks Giggler) makes life so much easier. You should be fine using the Gater.

My goal is to use the Gater for comps, but not until I'm comfortable with it, but judging from my last Brisket & Butt cook, I'm fairly confident that it will fit the bill just fine for PNWBA turn ins.

We're planning to have a local guy weld up a stand with casters, so if anyone has any insight....much appreciated there too.

Make sure you use the solid rubber tires that look like the pneumatic ones... The pneumatics have a tendency to be "bouncy" and unstable - and also deflate from time to time (needless to say we now have a can of fix a flat in our comp. tool box now).

I use a Backwoods Gater for the big meats and for ribs. I use a Chubby for chicken. You can do all on the Gater if needed. Ive cooked plenty of contests on a single Backwoods Party. You just have to start cooking around 10 pm.

I use a Backwoods Gater for the big meats and for ribs. I use a Chubby for chicken. You can do all on the Gater if needed. Ive cooked plenty of contests on a single Backwoods Party. You just have to start cooking around 10 pm.

Are you cooking wet or dry pan?

I'm leaning the same as you, Brisket, Butts and Ribs with Chicken on a LBig Green Egg. With a refuel for Ribs? (PNWBA turn ins are Pork, Brisket, Chicken, Ribs)

For the butts, brisket and ribs I have water in the pan. For chicken no water pan.
When I cooked everything on the same cooker it was always water in the pan the entire contest. I Just kept everything at 225.

I start my butts and brisket about midnight in the same cooker. Ribs and chicken then get cooked separately. I use water for all meats. I agree with Gail, use the solid rubber tires or else you'll have problems later on. I got my Fatboy last April and only did 3 or 4 practice cooks on it before my first comp. Once you learn the feel of it and where it likes to cook the best you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thanks for all in the input.

I'll likely be cooking at 270-280 most of the time, so perhaps we'll need to reload.

Dumb question I guess...

But are you guys burning lump and wood chunks for smoke?

Right now we're about a week out from getting it...and the more I think, at 300 lbs. it sounds like a tough task to load/transport....until you get stand & casters? We've got a ramp on our 6x10 trailer.

I guess we'll also look to 'load' this in the front of our trailer when transporting.

I'm planning on mounting the Gater on a cart with 8" or 10" no flat wheels. I need to get it to my back yard and its uneven grass. My trailer has a ramp, but figure the cart will add another 100lbs to it, even removing the grates and pans it'll still be 300+lbs over the axel.

I use lump with wood chunks for flavor. Between the two cookers I usually go thorugh about 1.5 17lb bags. I always bring 3 just to be safe. Oh, the other thing...probably the most important. Make sure you keep the water pan filled. Last year at Roc City...well, it was almost an unfortunate and costly mistake. Thanks to Purple Pork Masters for keeping an eye on things.

Back