• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "Meat & Potatoes!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Meat & Potatoes!"

Meat-Loaf-Cupcakes-with-Mashed-Potatoes_zps11bfcc20.jpg

As chosen by FamilyManBBQ for a landslide win in the "The Pig Pig" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

FamilyManBBQ said:
"Meat and Potatoes" Throwdown! Smoked/Grilled meat(s) of cooks choice, served with a side of potatoes cooked anyway you like...baked once, baked twice, creamed, mashed, sculpted to look like Devil's Tower, covered in chocolate and dipped in bacon (the possibilities are endless)!! :-D

How's that?

Hmmm...I better get started on my potato prep right away!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 11/1 through Sunday 11/10.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 11/11

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread. :loco:

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Hmmmmm. Might have to enter my 2nd TD.

1st one didn't end well for me.

Don't know if this qualifies. Now, the major ingredients were smoked over lump and hickory, but before the start date of this TD. However, the meal was prepared yesterday, so I think I'm OK, after being confused, by reading the TD rules...at any rate, I present to you, #Hashtag Brisket.

hash91_zpsfddb8661.jpg

Cook thread linky

Don't know if this qualifies. Now, the major ingredients were smoked over lump and hickory, but before the start date of this TD. However, the meal was prepared yesterday, so I think I'm OK, after being confused, by reading the TD rules...at any rate, I present to you, #Hashtag Brisket.

hash91_zpsfddb8661.jpg

Cook thread linky

I am pretty sure there is precedent to support that, but why don't we wait until the end of voting to get a ruling.

CD :becky:

My official entry...

Step one, read the farking special rules. Step two, read them again.

Here are the players. Home ground meat -- a half pound of ground chuck, and a half pound of ground rib flaps. That's what you can do with the flaps when you trim down for St. Louis style ribs.

picture.php

The potatoes were a couple of big russets, throughly washed, skins left on.

I mixed the beef and pork with a diced onion, a couple of eggs, some salt, pepper and garlic, bread crumbs, and some fresh thyme from the backyard garden. Then I formed a loaf and stuck it into the fridge to firm up.

picture.php

I stuck the meatloaf on the 18.5 OTG indirect -- about 350-375. I used pecan wood chunks for the smoke.

picture.php

I cut up the potatoes, and boiled them in some seasoned water. I thought about boiling them on my SJG, but figured that potatoes boiled on a grill would taste just like potatoes boiled on a farking stove. I hope the meat loaf will fulfill the "cooked on a grill or smoker" rule all by itself.

picture.php

Okay, watch what I do here. I'm thinking, "What can I do to make my always good mashed potatoes better?"

Well, duh, add BACON!

Potatoes, butter, milk, garlic, salt, pepper -- and diced farking BACON.

picture.php

I made some brown gravy with butter and the bacon fat.

Here is the cooked meatloaf -- my best yet. Rib flaps make great ground pork. The meatloaf was really moist. The fresh thyme rocked -- subtle but definitely identifiable.

picture.php

And here is how it all ended up on the plate. Nothin' but meat and potatoes, with some meat IN the potatoes.

picture.php

It really was my best meatloaf so far, and bacon mashed potatoes -- a last minute alteration - are stupid good. High in calories, high in carbs, high in fat -- a coronary trifecta!

CD

First, I'm assuming that this is an entry, but you didn't say that it was. :-D

Second, please pick a picture. It's your entry, so please don't put that responsibility on Moose and me.

Yep, I knew I would screw this up.

Yessir, it is my entry.

I guess #2 will work for the official entry. :becky: Or whichever.

Homemade ham and scalloped taters

My entry for the "meat and potatoes TD".
This was a fun cook, and turned out quite good for a first attempt at ham.

Build thread here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174654

A quick shot of the ham
HomemadeHamandSides016_zps9ff0137f.jpg

And this next one for my entry shot......
HomemadeHamandSides021_zpscafb0423.jpg

It was great fun.

Thanks all

Back