MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Do you find comment cards helpful?
Yes 164 83.25%
No 20 10.15%
Uncertain 13 6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #106
Hozman
Take a breath!

I think any score of 7 or lower should be required to have a comment card.

As a cook would love to know why and as a judge I believe I owe it to the cook to tell him why.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #107
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Seems that the results of this poll provide a resounding "YES" to the helpfulness of comment cards. Additionally, several good and simple ideas were provided in the comments as to how to resolve the issue regarding removing the alternate number from the comment cards. Hopefully there can be some resolution to the issue soon. It would be nice to know judges have the option to use them again.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #108
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

This weekend's Battle Of BBQ Brethren was not KCBS sanctioned and I received 5 comment cards, 4 of which told me my brisket was too salty, and one for ribs, "sauce too sweet and too much"
Worthwhile?
Absolutely! 1 card saying too much salt I could it chalk up to a judge being sensitive to salt, I really didn't think it was too salty when I tasted. But for 4 judges to comment same thing? I need to make a change.
I'm not sure what the instructions to the judges were, but I appreciate the cards and will take their criticism to heart. Wishing I could expect the same at my next KCBS contest.

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #109
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

I'll post an example of the the scorecards we use for the Frostbuster BBQ when I get home tonight. It's just like what was suggested with check boxes for bad and good flavors and profiles. Also, at the Frostbuster the judges must comment on Good and Bad flavors. What they liked, what they didn't like..things like that and it doesn't take any longer for the judges to fill out these cards.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #110
Uomograsso
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Nope, I don't want them to tell me anything. Just give me an honest score that is fair when compared with others. I'm one of the few who don't care for comment cards and have found no benefit in them. But that's just my worthless opinion.

Why would you try to twist my comment? Just stating a fact.

As a KCBS Judge we are trained and told NOT to compare the entries. Each entry is to be judged on its own merits. If you haven't judged a contest you should. 99% of the judges I have sat with do take the time to give a fair and honest score.
Uomograsso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #111
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Here it is. This is the card we use for our contest, Frostbuster BBQ.
All the certified judges, included a few master judges, like the card and have no trouble getting it filled out in the half time frame.
The numbers on the right top 1-6 and 7-12 have some general comments. If you notice 1-6 are the bad comments and 7-12 are the good comments and that corresponds to the very right column where the judges are to circle the number. There is also plenty of space to for a comment.

judgingslip.pdf
CBJ #4643

Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #112
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=Hozman;2574637]I think any score of 7 or lower should be required to have a comment card.

Plus if a score is under 7, they should be thoughtfull and put there phone number down!
In reallity if the table captain sees 999 988 988 998 then a 566, 967 the low scoring judge should have to explain...I can see maybe a tough or dry rib, but how do all give 9 for appearence then a 5??
Then last year I got a comment card that ribs were too juicy? That it squirted when bit into? I don't even inject ribs...
but comment cards are usefull, as sometimes direction we travel is down a one way street..

Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #113
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
All the certified judges, included a few master judges, like the card and have no trouble getting it filled out in the half time frame.
The numbers on the right top 1-6 and 7-12 have some general comments. If you notice 1-6 are the bad comments and 7-12 are the good comments and that corresponds to the very right column where the judges are to circle the number. There is also plenty of space to for a comment.

Attachment 83328
I LOVE IT!!! GREAT concept to actually let the cooks know WHY they got the scores that they received.

I've stated it MANY times and continue to believe that judging could be greatly improved by going to this type of scorecard (requiring a comment on every entry). Not only does this put the responsibility of "justifying" the score on the judge, but also will weed-out judges that aren't really wanting to improve the overall process (not taking the responsibility serious). There are enough "serious" judges around that losing a few "non-serious" judges will not only be beneficial to the system, but will give the serious judges better opportunities to be confirmed at contests - improving the system even further.

Whatever can be done to improve judges and the overall process is definitely worth the extra time and effort!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #114
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:

Attachment 83328
I LOVE it, particularly the format of the whole card. I think a combination of my negative section and your remainder would probably be the best (I know a lot of judges who think they know when something is undercooked, but frankly are wrong and visa versa), plus there are other negatives to be had...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #115
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Attachment 83328

Very nice indeed!!!

Just thinking, would there be any reason to have a # 13 - Other on the numbers/comments side? Or, maybe that would get to confusing?

Just thinking...........

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #116
tigerpaw
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

Attachment 83328
Question and if answered before I apologize in advance. Using this form, a entry has several or at least more then one of the scores to the right. Do you circle the most important one or all that apply? I could see circling 7,8,9,10 AND 11 on the same entry as they could ALL apply. Just wondering what is done for this.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #117
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Just thinking, would there be any reason to have a # 13 - Other on the numbers/comments side? Or, maybe that would get to confusing?
Don't need the "# 13 - Other" as you have a place to list (write in) other comments.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #118
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
Don't need the "# 13 - Other" as you have a place to list (write in) other comments.
Perfect! Got it!

Thanks.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #119
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohrs123 View Post
This weekend's Battle Of BBQ Brethren was not KCBS sanctioned and I received 5 comment cards, 4 of which told me my brisket was too salty, and one for ribs, "sauce too sweet and too much"
Worthwhile?
Absolutely! 1 card saying too much salt I could it chalk up to a judge being sensitive to salt, I really didn't think it was too salty when I tasted. But for 4 judges to comment same thing? I need to make a change.
I'm not sure what the instructions to the judges were, but I appreciate the cards and will take their criticism to heart. Wishing I could expect the same at my next KCBS contest.
thanks to those comment cards I dialed back the salt for the sam's club Medford NY contest and took 1st in Brisket!!

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #120
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpaw View Post
Question and if answered before I apologize in advance. Using this form, a entry has several or at least more then one of the scores to the right. Do you circle the most important one or all that apply? I could see circling 7,8,9,10 AND 11 on the same entry as they could ALL apply. Just wondering what is done for this.
It's intended to help the judge in the judging of thier plate. They could circle what ever applies to that entry. Just one number or all the numbers. They also must provide a comment, good or bad, on the entry.
CBJ #4643