MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Default White Oak

So I have white oak trees as far as the eye can see. How is white oak for smoking? is it a universal wood as far as flavor go's. Does it go with different meats mostly pork and beef.
krshome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use white oak for everything and am a big fan. Virginians have been using to cook BBQ for centuries.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Great! $6 for a small bag of wood from lowes was getting kinda ridiculous. If its free its for me! I have also been trying to figure if VA had a style of BBQ, I guess this would be it.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Boshizzle

Virginia style? American style BBQ started in Virginia and spread from there. Hickory and oak were the woods of choice. Salt, pepper, lard/butter, vinegar and cayenne pepper were the seasonings of choice unless you were wealthy. Then, you would add some jelly, honey, fruit syrup, or sugar to the mix. And, they cooked all kinds of meat not just pork though pork was prevalent.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

White oak is great for beef. Post oak, used a lot in the Central Texas BBQ Meccas where brisket is king, is a type of white oak.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I use white oak for everything and am a big fan. Virginians have been using to cook BBQ for centuries.
What he said!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Virginia style? American style BBQ started in Virginia and spread from there. Hickory and oak were the woods of choice. Salt, pepper, lard/butter, vinegar and cayenne pepper were the seasonings of choice unless you were wealthy. Then, you would add some jelly, honey, fruit syrup, or sugar to the mix. And, they cooked all kinds of meat not just pork though pork was prevalent.
Thanks for the schooling, I really mean it. I didn't even think VA was know for BBQ. All I ever here around me is NC style but I guess its really it VA style. (I hope i'm not starting a war)

Old 10-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Boshizzle

There was a time when places in states now known as BBQ meccas advertised "old Virginia BBQ" on their menus.

Virginia has a rich BBQ history. I am going to write about it one of these days.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

If I was told that I could have only one wood to smoke with of my choice...I would pick White Oak!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

The best wood is the ones that grow near you, unless of course you're in Pine city Colorado. I smoke with oak & honey locust cuz I get get them cheap here from the landscaping guys in Nassau County. $75 fills my entire truck bed.

Also hillarious is that there's alot of places around NYC & Long Island claim to cook with hickory. If they all burned hickory the way they imply they do, we'd burn up every hickory tree from here to upstate NY.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like I'm going to have to raid the neighbors wood pile for my next smoke.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

To my knowledge, anything ending in "oak" is great to cook with. I use red oak, here in AL.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper77 View Post
To my knowledge, anything ending in "oak" is great to cook with. I use red oak, here in AL.

Not sure I agree with that. I think it depends on where the tree is regionally. I know that red oak here in Maine is not the same as the red oak in Cali. I tried red oak when I lived in VA, and I've tried 'que cooked with New England red oak...and I don't like the results. I've heard that black and pin oak isn't that great for smoking either.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Boshizzle

I've used VA red oak and thought it did well. Poison oak on the other hand isn't something I'd try.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #15
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I've used VA red oak and thought it did well. Poison oak on the other hand isn't something I'd try.
Well said LOL!