Butcher barbecue brisket injection question!

Jbone3652

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The last couple times I injected with butcher bbq I’ve hated it. I feel the brisket get like a pastrami taste. I really don’t get that beefy flavor like I do if I use beef bouillon. I’m cutting the dose back depending on the size of brisket, I’m also only letting it sit for 4 hours or less after injecting. Just wanted to see if anyone thinks the same.

Have you tired Kosmos Q Reserve Blend injection mixed with his Brisket mop? It's an outstanding combination for brisket injection a hearty beefy flavor profile.

I really like Butcher's BBQ Injections, and he just won The Jack using them, but use what tastes good to you! I inject with a small needle which might make a difference in dispersion with no big pockets of injection.

You're using a competition injection designed to be strong enough to deliver enough flavor in a "one-bite" style situation. Personally I hate both Butchers and Kosmos brisket injections as they give off way too strong of a flavor in my opinion. I don't use any phosphates when I inject a brisket which I'm going to eat. My injection is some home made beef stock made from brisket trimmings and some other stuff like celery, carrots, onions, etc.

The only competition style injection I've found which I can actually use on a brisket for consumption is Big Poppa Smokers "Cattle Prod" injection. It does have phosphates but it tastes much more like beef stock than some kind of chemical / extra salty brine.

I use regular beef broth with a bit of garlic and onion juice. I then use that mixture to spritz with. I typically inject and dry brine with kosher salt the night before. I use regular beef broth, not the low sodium one.

Try decreasing the amt of Butchers and add some Maiers Better than Boullion

I only use low sodium beef stock for my injection. I'm looking for the added moisture, not to change the flavor.
I prefer meat flavored meat. :grin:

When I was competing a lot, I loved David's product. I would use it( the prime) at the rate of 1/3 cup to 10oz's of bottled water for one brisket. I would inject 6hrs before cooking. I was always shocked when I didn't get a call. Make sure you shoot the dang thing full of it!

When using at home, I will put a tsp of dales steak seasoning in it also.

I've actually found most of the comp brisket injections pretty bland in taste department, certainly not overpowering. For me Kosmo's reserve blend on its own smells & tastes like onion soup, the balance is a bit off for me. But Butcher's and Cattleprod both work for me, pretty delicate in taste even... You sure you are mixing per instructions?

Oh yeah, we did beat Dave in brisket category in Jack, although our wasn't that good in my opinion :razz:

Didn't use his product that time, but it wouldn't have mattered. Most commercial brisket injections are neck to neck.

I keep several Minors bases on hand including beef and au jus and use Myron's combination of these two bases when I do brisket. Any unused injection is warmed poured over brisket slices before serving and on the side as well.

Myron's injection: 3 tablespoons each base to 1 quart water.

I used Butcher's Prime once and also did not find it good at all. However, some of the others eating it said it was good. I've gone to Meat Church and love it.

I really only inject turkeys, because they’re typically so bland and dry out easily. I’ve never found that brisket needs any injection, either for flavour or for moisture.

I tried some injection mixes and either too salty or too oniony or too beefy. Now I just simmer, the day before it's needed, low sodium beef stock, celery tops, onion, garlic and pepper and add a little butter. Strain and let cool. I don't compete, but every time I make brisket for family and friends, they love it and there is very little left over. Just mu .02

Back