MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Evie Mae's 20x60 reverse flow offset.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #17
busmania
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

I’m just up the road in centennial.

2 VERY important questions you have to answer first.

1. How much effort do you want to put into your cooks? Set it and forget it (kamado style, Weber Smokey Mountain, pellet poopers). Or do you want to stay up all night tending a fire and earn your wings (and have the food taste better)?

2. Budget?

I started with a big green egg which is extremely versatile and can cook everything from smoked whatever to bread to deserts. Boooorrrrring but set it up and it can go for 24 plus hours without opening the lid.

I then moved to a Weber Smokey Mountain (while still cooking on the egg for certain meals) which I really liked but I wanted more hands on. Then I built a homemade reverse flow stick burner that worked well but was too small (only 30 gallon tank). I then bought a Yoder whichita and don’t think I’ll do anything but burn logs till I’m incapable of staying up all night or tending the fire all day. I don’t care what anyone says but the flavor of the stick burned is FAR superior than any of my other cookers. I was my own worst critic before (never thought my bbq was that good. People enjoyed it but I always thought it was missing something) but now I love almost everything the Yoder puts out.

First decide what style you want then you can research all the various options in that class/style.
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #18
Smokie185
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhmaty View Post
I’m new to “the brethren “ and smoking. Any recommendations for a beginners first smoker. Id like to start out doing ribs, brisket tri-tip, chicken.
Thanks, maty
Weber WSM and this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Smoki...NJ6VWQJ33JQVC8

Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #19
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Need budget. I would second a drum smoker of some sort to start. You learn a ton with one of these. Then move on from there and start to collect smokers!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #20
OldGlory
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Eric

Second the BGE for versatility and ease of use.

If you want a dedicated smoker an insulated cabinet will work great in the cold.