MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
akayaker
Got Wood.

Default Another new BDS build with a couple of questions (pics too)

Yes, another BDS build.

I have been reading through some of the threads here and I can't resist the BDS build. I am currently smoking on a electric ECB and want to move to a charcoal rig. I am a DIY guy so this is perfect for me.

I have been gathering parts and to this point haven't spent a dime. Thats the other part of this build.. see how close to free I can get.

I ended up getting a new barrel for free and have managed to source the rest of the parts for free too (lots of people owe me favors). The only things I may have to purchase are the grates. If I end up getting a Weber Kettle then I will have all that I need. Still working on that one.

Only one problem and i'm not sure that it is a problem. My drum is 34" tall. The basket will be 3" off the bottom ad the cooking grate will be 24" above that. If you do the math that only leaves me 7" of cooking space. I don't think thats enough. I would feel more comfortable with 8.5 or 9. So the question is will lowering the cooking grate 2" really make that much of a difference? If I end up finding a Weber lid this won't be a problem, but I want to build to spec first and then trick it out later if possible. I could also lower the basket to 2.5" or maybe to 2" and lower the cooking grate as well. Split the difference on the top and bottom. Advice please.

Also,
Does it matter if you burn the barrel before drilling and welding or is it not a big deal either way. I was going to drill and weld everything up before burning, but thought it better to ask if it really mattered. I thought the vent holes would also make a hotter burn too. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get this done and throw on a butt. I fully expect my friends to want one of these babies as well.

Heres a pic of the drum and lid. The drum was new but it does have some sort of coating inside. It will have to be burned. Also note the sirring bracket in the bottom. This will have to be removed.

Here's the ash pan and another pic of the ash pan in the drum. Fits like a glove! It does need some trimming around the edge and will be burned with the drum.

Expanded metal and legs. The legs will be cut to 3".

Here she is all marked up.
akayaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

I usually go 8 inches from the top to place the grate. Personally I dont think an inch here or there makes a huge difference. Built it, Burn it and get it dirty!!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
akayaker
Got Wood.

Well here is the progress report for today.

I got on Craigs List yesterday and found someone that had a Weber knockoff for 10 bucks. I brought her home and found that the unit was in great condition.

Today I bent and fit the lid to the drum. This was not an easy task and took a while to get correct. I made a little fire inside and checked for leaks. Not too bad. A little here and a little there.

Here are some pics.

And with the ring.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

I have my cooking grate set at 7" down from the top.
The only thing I might not be able to cook in it is a chicken standing up.
If you drill all holes first it will burn hotter near the bottom.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Drop the grate an inch. it won't make ahugr difference. When i built mine i measured up from the bottom and down from the top and whatever was left in between was it.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
I usually go 8 inches from the top to place the grate. Personally I dont think an inch here or there makes a huge difference. Built it, Burn it and get it dirty!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerMike View Post
Drop the grate an inch. it won't make ahugr difference. When i built mine i measured up from the bottom and down from the top and whatever was left in between was it.
I agree with the above folks...an inch will not make a hoot. Here is a sketch of my second build. I started from the bottom and worked up.

Here's the finished product...rotisserie modded.

Have fun!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
akayaker
Got Wood.

Looking good JD. Id like to know more about the rotisserie mod you did. Got any pics?