MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Rob Babcock
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First cook went well!

My first cook with my Smokin-it Model #3 went very well, and in no small part due to the great info here at BBQ-B! I had some time to kill before work, and the ABT thread had me stoked to try them out. So I hit the grocery store and picked up all the stuff, and since there's quite a bit of space in the smoker I picked up some chicken legs.

I opted to split the japs instead of doing them whole, partly to cut down on work but also to get more ABTs from each batch. Since I only had a few hours, yet really wanted to get a smoke in, I went with just the pepper, cream cheese, a smokey and bacon to wrap. When I have more time I'll try them with minced onion, etc in the cream cheese. Also, since I have trouble finding really good quality smokies (ie meat without a bunch of fillers & HFCS) I might try ground pork or Italian sausage next time.

Again, due to time constraints I couldn't do much in the way of brining the chicken. So I just gave it a rub and chucked it in the smoker.

One of the things I took away from many threads was to go easy on the smoke. So I used just 2 oz of Hickory. Even this amount in my well sealed smoker was almost too much for the 'Turds. But the chicken was sublime!

I took about a dozen of the ABTs to work with me for the boys to try. To a man they were all very impressed. In fact, they spent the rest of the night planning construction of a DIY barrel smoker project.

The next thing I'll do will be baby backs. I already have five racks in the fridge, ready to go!
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I'm glad it all came out well!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Great job!

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Outstanding!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
chagovatoloco
Full Fledged Farker

here it begins the addiction.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Congrats on your first victory! Good luck with the baby backs. I use a crumbled up naked fatty in my ABT filling and it's awesome. Just throw one on next time you fire up your cooker and freeze it, that way you'll have it ready for the next time make ABT's. That's if you can resist eating it all...on second thought maybe you should make two.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good to have a successful first run

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Sounds like a great success.. Congrats!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Good going' Rob. Glad to hear the first smoke turned out good.
You got extra points for taking the bounty to work to share with the boys.

-However-

Those points were taken away since you didn't take pictures.

Bob
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote