MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #181
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Okay. Here it is folks. What I and everyone else who has been following this thread for months has been waiting for!

picking it up from the painter.

yep. Thats bird crap on the side of the firebox. Gotta love those minnesota grackles.

Need to clean up the stub so the stack slides all the way down on the smoker. The paint is a little thick so it will not go all the way down. Got the handles installed so I can light it off. Came right up to 225 in about 20 minutes with 18 brickets and 4-5 chunks of hickery tossed in. Paint on the edge of the fire box started bubbling about 30 minutes in. What the heck. Need to get the rest of this thing put back together and sealed up so we can get smoking for real!

Last edited by Triple T BBQ; 04-11-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Triple T BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #182
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Love the bullhorn smokestack. I still can't get over the fenders and the tapered slabs with the lettering...They're so slick. I know I've said this about 30 times but they really do look great..The wheels are awesome...The flooring is awesome..The whole trailer is awesome..The cooker is awesome..It's ALL awesome

When you said your paint started to bubble it made me flinch.. We are painting ours with a gloss black rated to only 800degrees.. I THINK this should be good since our box is super insulated, but I still wonder what it will do over time. I KNOW the box doesn't get up to 800 on the outer surface of the box but the spots near the door and the chamber (where there isn't insulation) DOES get hot. What do you think you'll do to fix this minor setback? or is it not bad enough to worry about?
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #183
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
Love the bullhorn smokestack. I still can't get over the fenders and the tapered slabs with the lettering...They're so slick. I know I've said this about 30 times but they really do look great..The wheels are awesome...The flooring is awesome..The whole trailer is awesome..The cooker is awesome..It's ALL awesome

When you said your paint started to bubble it made me flinch.. We are painting ours with a gloss black rated to only 800degrees.. I THINK this should be good since our box is super insulated, but I still wonder what it will do over time. I KNOW the box doesn't get up to 800 on the outer surface of the box but the spots near the door and the chamber (where there isn't insulation) DOES get hot. What do you think you'll do to fix this minor setback? or is it not bad enough to worry about?
Thanks. I really like your setup as well. The other stuff was sort of fun stuff we wanted to do. Wait till I get the stainless steel counter reinstalled and the treadplate reinstalled on the box and tops of the fenders. It should really pop then. As for the firebox, I guess we will do a larger box with more air space at the top like yours and then drop it deeper into the trailer frame rails this fall. I have already been looking at a different company for paint. Let me know what you guys choose to use and how yours works out. Between the two of us we should be able to save others some time here.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #184
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Damn that looks great! You're going to make me build one of those next! Pics are bad enough but once I see it in person I'm betting it'll be over the top!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #185
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

Sucks about the paint, but it looks great anyway
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #186
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Let me know what you guys choose to use and how yours works out. Between the two of us we should be able to save others some time here.
We're going with Sherwin Williams. I'll let you know which product number it is and how it does when we pick it up and get it on.

I'd say there's enough material on the forum for anyone to build one heck of an offset! We'll see if we draw any passers by in with all of this build nonsense eh?!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #187
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
We're going with Sherwin Williams. I'll let you know which product number it is and how it does when we pick it up and get it on.
Interesting. We used the sherwin williams sub company known as flame control. Not impressed. Again I think the heat is bleeding through, which I don't think you are going to have problems with given the photo of your dad having his hand on the firebox at 1.5 hours in. I think you are going to be fine. Be sure to post the product number when you figure it out. 37 bucks a gallon is seriously cheap.

Gotta get the racks finished up and start on the wiring, backlights, and brakes this week.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #188
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Will do. Ours is through a SW sub also..but it's $97/gal..the primer is about the same.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #189
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Truly, truly beautiful. Start to finish. Can't believe the birds dive-bombed you already, though. Geez...
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #190
vhram
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome build .
vhram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #191
Maple Man
Found some matches.

Beautiful, real nice.
Maple Man
Maple Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #192
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

You may in for a surprise with that flat paint...

Fire it up as is... then season it up and rub it down with bacon fat.
Will bake in and harden... leaving you with a weather-resistant gloss sheen!

before...

after...

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #193
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice work and great thread
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #194
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post

before...

after...
Thanks. Jamie from Jambo had recommended a solution close to this too. Working on the airflow testing right now. Of course the weekend is here the weather is rain, rain, rain, sigh......

Old 04-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #195
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post

before...

after...
If that's the kind of finish you can get with flat black paint and bacon fat, there's no way I'd paint it with anything else. Bandit, that is one beautiful looking finish you've got there. I'm truly impressed!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jambo clone, offset smoker, reverse flow horizontal, trailer