MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pointers for UDS temp control?

Howdy brothers.

UDS is ready! I promise I'll get some pics up before the weekend.

Seasoned it last night with veg oil. Placed 1 chimney full (from Lowe's... smaller than the Weber chimney) of Kingsfiord regular briquettes with 10 lit (unlit arranged around the lit... didn't have coffee can handy). The lit briqs were not completely ashed over yet when i added them to the unlit briqs). Had one intake (3/4") and the ball valve (3/4") open all the way. Using a dome lide from a cheapie kettle grill and the vents on the dome were fully open. had one probe from my Maverick ET-7 on the grate. Grate is 23.5" above the bottom grate of the charcoal basket

Saw some white smoke for a little while then things seemed to settle down. The temp rose steadily to 225, 250, 270's. That's when all hell broke loose. Tried to close the ball valve halfway... still rising to 280 (but slower). Closed the intake completely with ball valve open a titch. Rose to 290's. Closed the vents on the lid - rose to 300's. Opened the vents on the lid and the temp dropped a little. Took the lid off to let the temp drop to the 260's, but then temp rose to 300's again with the lid on. waited about 30mins between each change. After 3 hours I stopped the experiment - closed all vents, intakes, valve and went to bed (1am).

I don't think my build is drafty, because after I closed everything up, little charcoal had burned up when I checked it this morning - probably have half a chimney or more left. I know I ended up making more changes than I should have during the burn, but part of it was for me to figure out how the temp would be affected.

Any pointers? I have read that many UDS builds will cruise with one intake open and the ball valve open 1/4 to 1/2 way.

Thanks for reading!
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, I've got about 5 cooks on my 'new' UDS. I was doing fine keeping everything under 250 until my last cook. My last cook was a butt, it turned out excellent. But when I started the cook, I think I panicked. I filled my 12" fire box to the brim with lump, because I thought I would need more lump for the 14 hours the butt was going to need. I could NOT keep the temp under 325. I was panicking also because it was getting late. I figured the butt had to go on by 10pm or I wasn't going to make lunch at noon the next day. My logic was that the longer the smoke the more charcoal I would need. So I filled it up. I ended up dumping out 2/3 of the lump out of the basket, and just going with it. I took a leap of faith: 1/3 lump in the fire basket, one 3/4" intake open, exhaust open all the way - and went to bed. I awoke at 7 am (slept in!), looked outside and the temp was steady at 225!! Conclusion: I panicked and filled up the firebox WAY too much. The amount of lump I've used for all my cooks will last for a looooong time. Did I mention the butt was phenomenal??!! hope that helps joe
likeadeere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Every drum runs a little different, but they all tend to be somewhat similar if you are following the standard design in the UDS thread. This is what works for me, after lots of trial and error...

I load my charcoal basket about 2:1 briquets to chunk hickory (by volume). Then I start 15-20 briquets in the chimney and add them when they are ashed over 100%. I dump this on top of the unlit basket, and arrange them about evenly (don't worry too much about where you put the lit coals; the fire is gonna burn where it wants). I don't mess with the coffee can method; sounds good in theory, but is really just science fiction in my opinion.

So, next step depends on what you are cooking. For chicken, I leave the lid off until I see little flames coming up from between the coals since I usually run the drum at 300 degrees. Then I put on the meat, lid on, and all 3 intakes wide open, as well as the lid vent (I only close the lid vent when I put out the fire, otherwise it's always wide open).

For brisket, pulled pork, and ribs; I run my drum at 225-235. I put the lid on as soon as the lit briquets are in the basket. I leave all intakes wide open until the drum hits 200 degrees. At that point I put on the meat, and cap one of the intakes. When the drum hits 220 degrees, I cap the second intake. At 225 I close the last intake 50%, and fine tune things throughout the cook as needed.

This is what works for me. Give it a try.

As for cooling your drum by opening the lid, that lets heat out but also lets oxygen in. The temps will drop then shoot higher than when you opened the lid. To cool the drum reduce airflow to the fire/to heat the drum let more air in. Make slow changes and see what the drum is doing after 10 minutes or so.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Temp in the uds depends on how much hot charcoal you start with when i do low and slow i use about 1/4 of a chimney you may try a smaller amount of fuel next time, also it looks like you had too much air in the beginning and were trying to play catch up, try starting out with only one intake half open then go from there.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

(1) Don't close the lid vents: that will keep hot air in (raising temps) and let stale smoke play naughty games with your food.

(2) Don't feel bad about closing off all the intakes though if need be. And choke proactively, if you want 250 and you're at rising towards 240, start choking it down a little.

(3) All that, get a couple cooks on it then worry about temp control: it'll handle temps much differently once you get it well seasoned.

Have fun!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely get more practice in.

@IronStomach: when you say get a few cooks done to get the UDS well-seasoned... does it need to be oiled again each time?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Thanks for the tips! Will definitely get more practice in.

@IronStomach: when you say get a few cooks done to get the UDS well-seasoned... does it need to be oiled again each time?
No it doesn't. First time is enough and whenever you clean it (try not to clean it unless you have a very good reason).

The food you cook will supply the seasoning grease after the first run. Try fatties, pork butts, beer can chickens, aramdillo eggs. Basically part of the issue is fluctuations in temps from the sidewalls transferring heat. Once they're coated in cooked meat grease from a couple of cooks, that evens out a bit: plus you learn how to control it better.

Basically, get a system down for supplying fuel and lighting it and then for reacting to temperature variations: do it the same way every time to minimize variables. That way when you want to change something, you know what's normal and what you're changing. That's what people call experience.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Where can I find this "experience" you speak of? Is it in the pork section? coz if its next to the broccoli, I'll never find it!

Just being a smarta*s. Didn't think about seasoning working in that way. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Where can I find this "experience" you speak of? Is it in the pork section? coz if its next to the broccoli, I'll never find it!

Just being a smarta*s. Didn't think about seasoning working in that way. Thanks for the advice.

Hehe, no wonder broccoli smells funny, it's experiened. :-)

Fun fact of the day: kung fu literally translates as "hard work, over time," which is basically what experience is.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

As was said, every drum is a little different. It sounds like you started with too much lit coal, and then didn't throttle it down in time. You also have to be patient- those big drums react slowly to changes. Mine seems to settle in nicely at 225 with one 3/4" vent open. Also as was said before (but bears repeating) DON'T close the exhaust when you have food in there. It causes creosote formation on your food. It tastes like crap, but at least it won't rot!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with mush creek, mine cruses at 225 with the ball valve open about 3/4 and the nipple caps on. Maybe 7/8 in cold weather. Doesn't matter how much I fill the fuel basket. It helps to catch the desired temp on the way up. Opening the lid will always cause a temp spike by letting more air in.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use a weed burner to fire up my UDS. I only let it run for about 30 seconds, then put on the Weber lid (exhaust wide open when cooking) and adjust my intakedown to a 1/4" gap. I have a single 2" intake running up the side of my drum. It's much easier to catch the temps on the way up and my drum takes about 20 to 30 minutes to react to any adjustment on the intake. I hope this helps, but YMMV ;>)
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
MadKirk
Knows what a fatty is.

Keeping the lid closed helps a lot too, from what I've found so far. If I open the lid for any reason, I spend 30 minutes trying to get the thing back under control. I haven't figured that part out yet.
MadKirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

If you need to open the lid for something, throttle your pit down for a while beforehand.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I don't sweat the temp spikes from opening the lid. If it was holding at 250 for 2 hours before the lid opened, it will spike then go back down in 20 minutes or so. I never "ruined" some que with a spike. I set it and forget it, literally. Some times I have to set my alarm to be sure I check it.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote