Resting Ham

dealm9

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have never smoked a ham before, and my first one is on the uds right now. It looks like it is on pace to be done 2.5-3 hours before we eat. I have seen that most people rest for about an hour or so. I am doing Dr. Chicken's ham recipe. I am worried that 2.5-3 hrs of resting might dry it out. I rest pork butts 3 hours all the time, but I am worried hams should not be rested as long. Is a 3 hour rest for ham a problem? Also, I was planning using the cooler method, just like I do with butts. Is this what you all do with hams or just use foil only?

When I smoke a ham I rest for 30 - 40 minutes before serving...

It's your preference...

My first ham is also on the UDS right now. Hopefully it will hold since mine is currently ahead of schedule and will have to rest for a little over 2 hrs in a cooler also. Good luck with yours Mark!

Thanks Dave, you too! It's about to come off in about 20-30 minutes and we are eating at 6 so I should be looking at about a 1.5 hour rest. If need be I will try to talk everyone into eating at 5:30. Being my first time, I am also in need of some advice on carving the ham. Is there any special way to carve it. It seems simple but I don't want to ruin all the work I did by carving it wrong.

I do what landarc recommends in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130179 Check out post #4 & #5.

I see you are a north coaster. I grew up in Ashtabula and worked in both Parma and Mentor for a number of years and have a sister in Valley View. Happy Easter to you & the family.

Dave,

Thanks, I did what landarc said and everything turned out great. I also rested tham for about an hour and it was perfect for my family and I. I sure am a northerner. I grew up and still live in Willoughby. I actually am having family over from Geneva in Ashtabula County. I love it here. Feel free to come visit anytime! How did your ham turn out?

Mark - Not too shabby.

Maple-BourbonGlazedHam5.jpg

Back