MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:07 AM   #16
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

I have only cooked 1 grass fed as well it was expensive but I cooked it just like any other Brisket and I thought it was Great ..Personally I didnt notice any flavor difference but it was really good .. I havent done it since only due to cost . Was like 7.00 lb compared to costco prime at 2.89lb
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 03:18 AM   #17
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

My preferred meat is grass fed, tastes like Beef should taste like IMHO.
Work around the Fat content.
Some of our grass fed carry s more fat than the Grain fed

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #18
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely requires a bit more attention to overcooking. I think if you do a ribeye steak steak comparison you will notice a difference however brisket on the smoker for several hours infused with smoke not so much.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #19
SweetOak13
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_pastor View Post
Franklin claims in his book the taste is too strong and funky. Guess you gotta try and see what you think.
I have found this to be true as well. Although in some applications this is fine, brisket is not one of them.
SweetOak13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #20
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOak13 View Post
I have found this to be true as well. Although in some applications this is fine, brisket is not one of them.
I didn't much have this problem. Depends on the meat I guess.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
Lang 48 Patio

Old 06-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

When , I was a kid that all we had, I like the grain feed a lot better
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #22
Dinkle

Just cook it.
Dinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #23
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
When , I was a kid that all we had, I like the grain feed a lot better
Significantly less healthy for you and the environment though.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
Lang 48 Patio

Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #24
Ylouder

We have a grass fed cow in our freezer right now and all the yuppies and city folks are into grass fed everything. Nothing wrong with it and its a healthier, but like other said you aren't going to get the same fat content and marbling.

Great hamburger and roast for every day eating, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a stand alone grass fed brisket or steak. They arent bad, but you just got to baby them more to keep them from getting tough. As far as funky taste, it really depends on what the cow grazes on. The sides of beef over the last few years have had better flavor than anything that you get at the store.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #25
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
Anxious to see how it comes out. If you like wild game then you will like grass fed beef.
With all due respect, what does this even MEAN?
My family has eaten a whole grassfed Hereford steer every year for the last 10 years, and I can't count how many deer I've killed, butchered, and eaten. They both taste like a slice of heaven, but not like each other.

To the OP's question, treat it like.....a brisket! Sure, grassed is a little less forgiving than commodity beef, but the taste pays in dividends if you know how to cook it. If your brisket technique isn't quite perfected yet, go with the Bludawg method, it's more forgiving. Honestly, I really don't care for commodity beef anymore after being spoiled on the intense true beefiness of grassfed. Let us know how it goes!

Old 06-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #26
Ylouder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
With all due respect, what does this even MEAN?
My family has eaten a whole grassfed Hereford steer every year for the last 10 years, and I can't count how many deer I've killed, butchered, and eaten. They both taste like a slice of heaven, but not like each other.
The guy has probably never hunted or had grass fed beef in his life.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #27
hammb
Full Fledged Farker

I've got a quarter of a grass fed beef on order, but my producer doesn't separate front/hind quarter. I suspect I'll get half of the ribeye, half of the sirloin, etc. So I'm guessing I will not be able to get a full brisket.

I'm hoping I can though because I want to try smoking a grass fed brisket, despite some of the issues I've heard about it.

It is much healthier, and I think grass fed beef tastes much better than conventionally raised. Conventional beef needs to have high marbelized fat content to get any flavor at all. Grassfed, even though it doesn't have the fat content, has way more flavor, IMO. I don't know if it's the age at slaughter or what that makes that the case, but it's been my experience.

The environmental impact between the two types is a big time selling point as well for me.
hammb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #28
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylouder View Post
The guy has probably never hunted or had grass fed beef in his life.
I don't know if I'd go that far; Bill's a good guy, just maybe had some funky venison and/or grassfed beef along the line somewhere. Maybe what he meant is since they eat the same grass, they should taste similar.

The "gamey" taste usually attributed to venison is nothing more than spoiling meat. People tend to hang their deer in a tree to age, and it warms up in the sun, then freezes overnight, and repeats for a few days until it tastes off. I kill mine, clean immediately, rinse out the cavity, then skin while its warm and easy, quarter it, and wrap in butcher paper to let it age properly in a 38 degree frig for 4-6 days to complete the rigor mortis and muscle relaxing cycle. The result is some of the most incredible meat you can have (I've instantly converted venison naysayers), but it tastes completely different than our beef.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #29
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
We tried grass fed steaks... It wasn't for us. It has a whole different taste but who knows! You may love it! Keep us posted after you cook it!
This is what i was going to say too. Be prepared, it's likely going to taste "funny," and that's just not to say crappy...
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #30
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a truly "all grass-fed" beef in this country. I don't buy it......

I have buddies who raise Angus cattle, that are on the pasture every day, but they are also fed grain and corn stalks, alfalfa hay and so on. Most all dairy and feed lots I've been on in the last two years do the same. My understanding (and I'm not a farmer) is that in order to have a truly grass-fed beef, would take too long to get it ready for market, and you can short circuit this by feeding them grain. That's why commodity beef is raised on mostly all grain and some fiber. Eating grain puts weight on faster, and also causes the cow to be fatter, though not intramuscular fat (marbling).

So, all that to say my preference is for farm-raised beef, not commodity beef. Most farm raised beef in my experience is grass fed to some extent. I think it tastes better, is usually a little leaner, and therefore needs more care to cook it correctly. It's just different, but IMHO, better!

Ed
Cat797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, cook time, grass-fed beef