MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
devlonc
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Grass Fed Brisket

So I was at the local brewery last week....(all good stories start that way don't they). Talk to a guy at the bar who says he raises grass fed cows for cheese and butchering. After a few beers i say hey I'd like a whole brisket if he can get me one, figuring a grass fed brisket would be fantastic. So i give him my number and low and behold he calls me last night and says he has my fresh brisket. So i get this fantastic piece of meat home and start reading about grass fed meat and that some guys don't like Brisket thats grass fed due to the lower fat content.

So now I'm worried that i've got this $80 piece of meat thats gonna turn out horribly. I keep looking at it thinking it looks like its got a nice amount of fat on it, what do you all think?

devlonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
CopyNPaste
Knows what a fatty is.

Grass fed beef does have lower fat, so you can still use it but inject it.
CopyNPaste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

You can do different things to keep it from drying out.

1. Inject it. You can use beef broth or a commercial injection.

2. Cover it in bacon. This will protect the surface of the meat from drying out too quick, so it holds some of its moisture in.

3. Wrap it sometime during the cook. You can use foil or butcher paper. Foil will help retain more moisture, but it will also yield a texture more towards pot roast. Butcher Paper will retain a less moisture than foil, but also yields a roasted meat texture.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have cooked somewhere close to 30 grass-finished brisket, from steers, and have found that they cook up great. I don't inject, trim to 1/4" and leave some fat on there. I do wrap, and add about 1/8 cup of moisture, can be anything from beer to beef stock, I like a little Worcestershire sauce in there too. Yes, the flat can be a little drier than from a Prime or Wagyu. I think it cooks comparably to Select beef.

I wonder though, you said cheese and butchering, if you have a brisket from a cow. That is a different thing. I've never cooked a cow brisket.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

If in doubt, add bacon.

Adding non fat liquids won't really make up for the lower amount of fat, but you could inject with seasoned clarified butter.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
al_pastor
On the road to being a farker

Franklin claims in his book the taste is too strong and funky. Guess you gotta try and see what you think.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_pastor View Post
Franklin claims in his book the taste is too strong and funky. Guess you gotta try and see what you think.
It can be, depends on the grass it was finished on. I get mine from Northern California and Western Oregon. The cattle are raised and finished on sweet grass feed. The taste is not at all a problem.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
4ever3

We tried grass fed steaks... It wasn't for us. It has a whole different taste but who knows! You may love it! Keep us posted after you cook it!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
devlonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I have cooked somewhere close to 30 grass-finished brisket, from steers, and have found that they cook up great. I don't inject, trim to 1/4" and leave some fat on there. I do wrap, and add about 1/8 cup of moisture, can be anything from beer to beef stock, I like a little Worcestershire sauce in there too. Yes, the flat can be a little drier than from a Prime or Wagyu. I think it cooks comparably to Select beef.

I wonder though, you said cheese and butchering, if you have a brisket from a cow. That is a different thing. I've never cooked a cow brisket.
Ovisiouly be has diary cows and beef cows. Sorry didn't make that clear.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
devlonc

I'm in central PA and have had grass fed beef and like it. The fat definitely seems much softer than a grain fed beef and there's less of the hard fat in the seem, it looks pretty well marbled but I'm not an expert. I'll wrap in butcher paper after 4-5hrs. I'll keep you posted

Old 06-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #11
Milkman_d83
Knows what a fatty is.

It would depend on the wording. Is it strictly grass fed. A local buther shop here promotes grass fed beef. I know multiple farmers they buy cattle from and they feed more corn then I do. If they buy the cow live and graze it on pasture for a month or so and the cow to acre ratio is right it will qualify as grass feed beef. Lol. Personally I don't like purely grass feed. A bit to lean for me. I hope it turns out good for u though.
Milkman_d83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #12
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

if you don't want to smoke it, grass fed brisket makes a fine addition to a hamburger blend, mix it with short rib and chuck meat and you'll have a burger you wont forget!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #13
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Anxious to see how it comes out. If you like wild game then you will like grass fed beef.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #14
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I've made it and it turned out great.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #15
jvargas
Got Wood.

I thought you could definitely taste the difference in the meat, but it was still good. I have only cooked 1 grass fed and I should've pulled it earlier than a normal steroid brisket. It was a little dryer than usual.
jvargas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, cook time, grass-fed beef