MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
sarth67
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sarth67
Default How do you slice your Jerky

How do you slice your Jerky?
Our local grocery store lost ther meat guy so no one is able to slice professionally apparently.

We have a cheap electric meat slicer but it mostly tears stuff up.

My free hand cuts are not very even.

I have looked at a few guided slicers
Like this

Or possibly a different electric slicer.

On a different note I have recently been marinading in Claudes brisket Marinade WOW it is good.
sarth67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Get it slightly frozen (or mostly defrosted depending on which way you look at it). It'll hold form better. I did that and had no trouble making nice slices with a standard knife with the meat more firm.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I slice mine by hand, with the grain, and usually about 3/16" thick. I do set the trimmed meat in the freezer to ice it up, which makes slicing easier. Ideally I like to buy London broil, and have them slice it at least an inch thick.... this way I only have to make one cut for my jerky. I do have a small Krups electric slicer that works fine, and I have used my electric fillet knife too. I think that icing the meat is the best tip.

I have seen those guided slicers, just never used one.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I have the chefs choice 615. Get rid of the standard serrated blade and get the smooth blade. Partially freeze meat. With the grain because I like it chewy.

https://youtu.be/LbyAlIU_0qg
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
rstewart
Knows what a fatty is.

As others have noted it is much easier to slice either by hand or with your slicer if partially frozen. Try slicing some with the grain and some across the grain to see which you prefer. My family prefers across the grain. This way you still get the wonderful flavor but not as hard to chew.
rstewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Partially frozen and by hand here too.
I'm a fan of "with the grain"..... I like the tug.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

I"m with just about everyone else.. I cut by hand.. don't worry about having uniform slices.. anything within reason thickness wise is good. As far as against the grain or with the grain. I'll do both if i'm doing a larger batch.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I do cross the grain, and the blade at an angle/tipped.
Sharp knife, rigid/thicker back bone. Longer blade, 9+"
I do not part freeze.
Just one example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jerky 8 30 17.jpg (37.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg jerky done 8 30 17 (2).jpg (103.9 KB, 128 views)
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I have a meat slicer that I used to use, but now I just slice by hand. I use London Broil and partially freeze it. The best knife I've used for slicing beef jerky is the Ronco Showtime Knife (Seriously). It cuts right through the partially frozen meat like butter and I can get uniform slices. Here's pic of the knife. It sells on Amazon for about $14.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
JazzCat
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

eye of round
half frozen
with the grain
5 to 6 mm thick.

https://youtu.be/DI1W51vBPKk
JazzCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #11
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarth67 View Post
How do you slice your Jerky?
Our local grocery store lost ther meat guy so no one is able to slice professionally apparently.

We have a cheap electric meat slicer but it mostly tears stuff up.

My free hand cuts are not very even.

I have looked at a few guided slicers
Like this

Or possibly a different electric slicer.

On a different note I have recently been marinading in Claudes brisket Marinade WOW it is good.
That guided slicer is junk and tedious. I bought one years ago and used if for a few minutes and finished cutting by hand.

A nice 12" deli slicer is a dream to work with, partially frozen, yet pliable enough to maintain a grip. Takes only minutes to slice a complete eye of round against the grain. Nice uniform round slices fit nicely in vac-seal packages when fully smoked and dried.

I also have a jerky cutter that attaches to my grinder that I use for slicing well trimmed top round. Just drop a slab in and perfect uniform slices with the grain drop out of the bottom.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
Smokie185
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
I have the chefs choice 615. Get rid of the standard serrated blade and get the smooth blade. Partially freeze meat. With the grain because I like it chewy.

https://youtu.be/LbyAlIU_0qg
This is what I use.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I use a Chef's Choice electric slicer, also.
Mine is the 615A. I make my jerky from Pork Loin. (Lower Cholesterol)

I slice across the grain. And I cut fully frozen meat with it, and just use the regular blade. My typical batch is 2-3 pounds of Pork Loin.
I trim the fat off before freezing.

Then put the dollops in a vacuum marinader, with a regular Beef Jerky type marinade, vacuum seal and refrigerate overnight. I do turn it and shake it occasionally to make sure the meat all gets soaked in the marinade.

The next day I put the dollops on my dehydrator trays and dehydrate for 4-6 hours until it's as dry as I like it. (Pretty damn dry)
When done, I use kitchen shears to cut the dollops into bite sized pieces into a brown paper bag. The brown paper bag allows the jerky to continue to shed moisture and equalize between the pieces.
Mine never lasts very long