• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Short Ribs

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and bought chuck short ribs at RD $4.29lb. 17 pounds worth. Cooked all of them on a WSM. It was a cold windy day, I was aiming for a 6 hour cook @250. Wound up being about 8 hour cook struggling to get to 250 in 20-30 degree windy weather. I've since built a wind screen to block the wind and keep temps up.

I rubbed those guys in a hill country rub (salt,pepper, cayenne pepper). Half way through the cook I sprayed them with a mixture 1/3 mango nectar, 1/3 wrcstr. sauce, 1/3 water and wrapped them in brown butcher paper. I had done a frankling style brisket 1x before and I wanted. The butcher paper really kept the juices in. I'm thinking of using it from now on as my go to over foil. Might as well... got a mammoth role at RD.

The result was fall off the bone tender ribs, with a nice bark. Not bad for a first try. I think if I do it again I would just cook 1/2 of the ribs and freeze the rest. With less meat I'd really like to push it up to an internal temp of 190 to 195, to really nail em. :biggrin1:

P.S. made some coca cola hill country sauce on the side, was spot on.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 133
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 133
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 133
Back