MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
richm
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Dark Fluid Oozing out of Sparerib Bones

I bought some frozen st louis pre-cut spareribs from the local grocery store who had them on sale for the summer holiday (I asked for fully-frozen packages in the back). I am about 90 minutes into the cook and they are oozing dark liquid from one end of the bones, which is something I haven't seen before with fresh spareribs (see photo).

This is an experiment, trying a couple of different rubs on two halves today. Any idea what this is? I am guessing that this is marrow (but I do not know), and maybe it because they froze them after they cut them to st louis style? Someone else guessed that this might be a sign that they were frozen and thawed and refrozen. Should I just chuck them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2118[1].jpg (68.2 KB, 260 views)
richm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

It's marrow. I had two racks like this over the weekend. Falling off the bone tender.....keep them

Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

that means that they were previously frozen , but you knew that :)
Woody1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that is just blood and has nothing to do with being frozen. Either way, don't chuck them.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

That only happens on pigs raised near those huge power lines or nuclear plants.
We had some once, we ate the meat and piled the bones on a platter to give to woofer, but we forgot.
Next morning, the meat had grown back on the bones!
We are still cooking that rack to this very day!

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
That only happens on pigs raised near those huge power lines or nuclear plants.
We had some once, we ate the meat and piled the bones on a platter to give to woofer, but we forgot.
Next morning, the meat had grown back on the bones!
We are still cooking that rack to this very day!

Are you glowing in the dark yet?

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
richm
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
It's marrow. I had two racks like this over the weekend. Falling off the bone tender.....keep them
Thanks, the marrow stopped leaking, and they have been in for 3.5 hours now. I just put them in foil, and they are looking/smelling mighty good.

I went to Costco while cooking and looked at their pre-cooked st louis spareribs (without sauce), and a third of the packages had dark areas like this near the cut part of the bone, although I would hope that those are not frozen before being cooked, but maybe they are. Nevertheless, I picked some up to try, but at $6.99 per pound, that is four times as much as I paid for these. I am heading out to the lake for fourth of july, and the boat has a grill on it, so I thought I would try them.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1911a1 View Post
that means that they were previously frozen , but you knew that :)
they're pretty much all pre-frozen.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote