Hot and fast brisket on traeger questions.

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a hot and fast brisket on my traeger and adding a foil pack of wood chips for supplementary smoke. Would this work to get smoke at temps of 325-350? I know low and slow but I may have to do it hot and fast at some point and I saw an article about it. I was wondering if I can still get a smokey flavor. Also, should I remove the fat cap for hot and fast? I figure the fat will not render as easily at hot and fast temps. Let me know what you think if you have done this before. Thanks

I think it would be over kill I cook at 300+ all the time plenty of smoke flavor. Leave all the fat cap in place and cook FC down it renders just fine just trim out the pockets of hard fat on each side where the point & flat meet.

Ok what would you say typical cook times are for hot and fast brisket per pound?

I think it would be over kill I cook at 300+ all the time plenty of smoke flavor. Leave all the fat cap in place and cook FC down it renders just fine just trim out the pockets of hard fat on each side where the point & flat meet.
Blu cooks on a Traeger?

I think you should keep the foil pack from what I have read about cooking on a Traeger, but never used a Traeger.

Blu cooks on a Traeger?

I think you should keep the foil pack from what I have read about cooking on a Traeger, but never used a Traeger.
NOT!!! Pellet poopers are Little easy bake ministick burners It should get enough with the pellets over 5-6 hrs. I wonder if his is pink:razz:

Blu cooks on a Traeger?

The day blu cooks on a Traeger is the day i send him barbie doll stickers to put on his easy bake oven.:laugh:

A buddy of mine put on a smoke daddy to get some some flavor out of his traeger cooking at higher temps....don't know how long of a smoke foil packs will get ya but if you do make lots of them.

NOT!!! Pellet poopers are Little easy bake ministick burners It should get enough with the pellets over 5-6 hrs. I wonder if his is pink:razz:
lol...

I guess that depends on if he is wrapping or letting it ride naked.

The day blu cooks on a Traeger is the day i send him barbie doll stickers to put on his easy bake oven.:laugh:

A buddy of mine put on a smoke daddy to get some some flavor out of his traeger cooking at higher temps....don't know how long of a smoke foil packs will get ya but if you do make lots of them.
What I guy I know how much they mean to ya. I might even let you peek under my apron:heh: Cook time neked at 300-325 is about 50 min Lb I would go with a few chunks instead of chips if you think you need it.

I would smoke it for and hour or so @ 180 then crank it up. Burning pellets at
300-350 causes a very efficient burn with a very light smoke profile. One of the
smoke generators would help a lot.

I would smoke it for and hour or so @ 180 then crank it up. Burning pellets at
300-350 causes a very efficient burn with a very light smoke profile. One of the
smoke generators would help a lot.

Dan is right on.
In addition, using the strongest pellets you can get will help.
I have some 100% Mesquite from Lumberjack which might produce good smoke flavor at those temps. 100% Hickory might work also.

I doubt you will get good results using any flavor of blended pellets, especially Traeger.

Good Luck

TIM

Dan is right on.
In addition, using the strongest pellets you can get will help.
I have some 100% Mesquite from Lumberjack which might produce good smoke flavor at those temps. 100% Hickory might work also.

I doubt you will get good results using any flavor of blended pellets, especially Traeger.

Good Luck

TIM

That's what i said about those Traeger pellets the other day but rusty doesn't want to void his warranty by using other pellets. Answer- Traeger doesn't have to know what brand pellets you use. :becky:

I've done a couple briskets using the BluDawg method on my Traeger and didn't have any issues with getting enough smoke. I used a blend of the cherry and pecan and it turned out great. Now granted, I'm not a huge fan of a heavy smoke so YMMV.

Start out at 225 fat side down until internal temp is about 145. I prefer 180 but the Traeger only has 150 then 225 and 150 is too low for this. Then crank her up to 325 until internal is about 175 and you're happy with the bark and the fat is good and rendered. Then foil fat side up until done. As said above use a 100% pellet. I like a 50/50 mix of mesquite and hickory with my brisket. Also I trim the fat cap to about 1/4" before cooking. The lower starting point will give a good smoke flavor.

When I cook hot and fast I use my AMAZN-Tube-Smoker. Be very careful as it adds A LOT of smoke into the meat... I normally use it for about 1-2hours and that's it! I always cook low and slow if I have the time though. The pellet pooper that everyone makes fun of does the job very well.

Back