MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #61
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

The use of canning salt instead of kosher is a great tip. How long before you put the brisket on to cook do you apply the rub?
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #62
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by go77377 View Post
... Being I cook fat side up would the TQ have any effect on the meat if I put it on the fatty side? If I did, should I let it stay on a little longer or will it not even penetrate the fat?

BTW, I have really enjoyed reading about this topic
Years ago I did a test like this for a Cookshack Forum post. TQ won't penetrate Brisket Fat evenly, so don't put it on the fat side, only the meat side.

And if doing this, you have to be VERY careful on how much and how long.

The experiments I did showed a difference in 1 min vs 2 min vs 3 min (spinkle on evenly, let sit, then rinse off). If you leave it on, it will continue to cure the meat.

I've also seen people add TQ to the rub, but I've never seen anyone admit they do that and how much of it they add to their rub.

TQ is a cure, that's why the SR is red, you're curing the meat. So how much and how long has an affect with how thick.

For a test on your first one, put TQ on a Brisket in two steps. Leave it on for 1 min and wash off only one half (one end) of the brisket then after 2 min rinse the other half off. check the depth, it will be different.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #63
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go77377 View Post
I know this post is a few years olds, but I am not smart enough to smoke a brisket with a real fire, lol. I wish I could but I would throw away more briskets then I could eat. I use a Electric Smoker and I have no complaints about the flavor or tenderness. My biggest issue is obtaining a smoke ring. I guess you could say being here in Houston having a smoke ring is like judging a book by it's cover.

Anyway, I have researched to the end of the internet looking on how to obtain that smoke ring and it seems like my best resource is to use Morton's Tender Quick. I was looking at all the photos and reading the posts and I noticed that the brisket is cooked with the fat side down. I have read where most people prefer fat side up and fewer with the fat side down. I always do fat side up, so here is my question..... Being I cook fat side up would the TQ have any effect on the meat if I put it on the fatty side? If I did, should I let it stay on a little longer or will it not even penetrate the fat?

BTW, I have really enjoyed reading about this topic
Like SmokinOkie mentioned, the fat absorbs the TQ at a different rate than meat, plus a natural smoke ring is always on the inside face (the face opposite the fat). However I did see brisket slices at a comp that had a 360° smoke ring, the fat had been trimmed close.... and I suspect some TQ was used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
The use of canning salt instead of kosher is a great tip. How long before you put the brisket on to cook do you apply the rub?
About an hour or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOkie View Post
Years ago I did a test like this for a Cookshack Forum post. TQ won't penetrate Brisket Fat evenly, so don't put it on the fat side, only the meat side.

And if doing this, you have to be VERY careful on how much and how long.

The experiments I did showed a difference in 1 min vs 2 min vs 3 min (spinkle on evenly, let sit, then rinse off). If you leave it on, it will continue to cure the meat.

I've also seen people add TQ to the rub, but I've never seen anyone admit they do that and how much of it they add to their rub.

TQ is a cure, that's why the SR is red, you're curing the meat. So how much and how long has an affect with how thick.

For a test on your first one, put TQ on a Brisket in two steps. Leave it on for 1 min and wash off only one half (one end) of the brisket then after 2 min rinse the other half off. check the depth, it will be different.
That's good to know. I have tried longer TQ times, like 30 or 40 minutes.... and short times, around 10 minutes, but never as short as 2 minutes. Even on the 10 minute TQ time, I still rinse well and rest the brisket for an hour in the fridge before adding my rub.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #64
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
However I did see brisket slices at a comp that had a 360° smoke ring, the fat had been trimmed close.... and I suspect some TQ was used.
It's easy to get a 360° smoke ring w/o using TQ if you trim the fat off of your brisket.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #65
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great info here Wayne...thank you for sharing! Killer smoke ring btw...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #66
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks nice, thanks
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #67
go77377
Found some matches.

Finally I was able to try the Tender Quick method this past weekend. I was quite impressed with the artificial smoke ring to say the least. I kept excellent notes from start to finish on this one. The only things I did different was I did smoke the fat side down, I used a different rub and I used Hickory Pellets. The rub was ok, but I like my other one much better. My TQ test was by using 2 tbs of the TQ with a little water to form the paste that I spread around all the brisket except for the fatty side and I let it stand for 30 minutes before washing it off completely.

So a huge cudos goes out to all you guys that contributed to the advice, suggestions & experiments...... Thanks again!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rb.jpg (102.3 KB, 89 views)
go77377 is offline   Reply With Quote