MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #76
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

What way would you be referring to?
That I dont give you all the facts
:) Much of the time facts have not been decided

LOL I had a plan started working it Like a dog running and barking then
YANK ran out of chain They asked to stop while
they are expanded the event
Yes neat packages are much nicer
But half way into wrapping the package they decided to
make it a motorcycle not a bicycle

So I could just not say anything and let folks buy airplane tickets and book rooms
or I can try to be honest and share those facts that I can
I think you would prefer the latter

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #77
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

What I meant Thom, was that IMHO you shouldn't have said anything until all the details were complete and finalized. I've seen this time and time again on the CBBQA forum.

I only mention it because I think you are really good for BBQ. Your passion is quite obvious. I think have someone with your love of BBQ and your passion on the KCBS BoD would be good for BBQ in the West. But as you may have noticed communication is a key factor for many people in deciding who they vote for.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #78
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery
On the sites and entry fees we hope to have a mix
of basic entry at $300ish all the way up to deluxe
"team next to you are guys from TV and or the NFL"
at $1000ish

Is this something you can answer?

Will you be competing for the same prize money whether its the $350 entry fee or the $1000?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #79
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
What I meant Thom, was that IMHO you shouldn't have said anything until all the details were complete and finalized.
The details were set then a new sponsor come on board and he said
Sure I am in but make it bigger................ So that is where we are today

When the money Guys say make it bigger
It gets bigger
Or I could be rigid and say
No way we have started LOL
Yea right

There is a lot more to this But I was asked to not share the details of another similar event

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #80
bbqczar
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you Thom for replying to this again.I tried to let some know about the dates not being set,etc.earlier but they took it the way,way, wrong way.In guess sometimes when you try to help people they just don't take it very well,strange .We will just hold on tight till everything is in place and all is known.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #81
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
But its Vegas enough said...............

On the sites and entry fees we hope to have a mix
of basic entry at $300ish all the way up to deluxe
"team next to you are guys from TV and or the NFL"
at $1000ish
Vegas is a draw unto itself and is bound to draw major amounts of attention for that reason alone throw in the hinted at large prize pool and I am sure the many of the best teams in the country will be willing to work the contest into their plans......but that being said, it a major logistical undertaking for a large number of them especially any of the east coast teams hoping to make the trip. Firm facts and and a solid plan are needed before many can even begin to make plans.

and what the hell does someone being on TV or being a NFLer have to do with site price? I can pay a couple of hundred bucks and cook next to or near a world class BBQ team at just about any contest that is held around here. Thats more impressive in my book than cooking to next to some a TV or sports star. ( i will admit that I may be jaded after cooking with those stars of Japanese TV, Poobah, Sled and Militanti....)

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #82
Big Tom
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
Vegas is a draw unto itself and is bound to draw major amounts of attention for that reason alone throw in the hinted at large prize pool and I am sure the many of the best teams in the country will be willing to work the contest into their plans......but that being said, it a major logistical undertaking for a large number of them especially any of the east coast teams hoping to make the trip. Firm facts and and a solid plan are needed before many can even begin to make plans.

and what the hell does someone being on TV or being a NFLer have to do with site price? I can pay a couple of hundred bucks and cook next to or near a world class BBQ team at just about any contest that is held around here. Thats more impressive in my book than cooking to next to some a TV or sports star. ( i will admit that I may be jaded after cooking with those stars of Japanese TV, Poobah, Sled and Militanti....)

Some very good points made here. The regular competition teams can/do cook next to or near some of the big names in BBQ & Food at numerous given events. I don't think we (competitors) would pay a higher price for a cook site to be next to a celebrity.

A team that was backed by a sponsor may want to pay extra for that percieved perk.

That kind of atmosphere could be a distraction for the folks that are serious about the competition, and most would prefer to keep that stuff at an arms length, but just close enough to schmooze a bit when convienient.

Just my thoughts. I would like to see the event materialize. That would give me reason to try and make the trip to compete.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #83
bbqczar
Full Fledged Farker

Well still,none of any of this matters really,we will all have to wait until something definate is announced and apps and info is posted,probably near years end,or maybe a little before.I will be there,it will be a great time.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #84
huckjr

Oh boy!! I'm all in!!!
huckjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #85
Pickin' Porkers
Full Fledged Farker

I understand all too well why they may have a celeb row and that's cool for those that wish to pay for it. Do it...it's Vegas and it is all about big times and big cash. That really does not bother us but what does......it's a heck of a long way to drive there with our equipment (4600 miles round trip, $2,000 in gas alone) without a sponsor SO......we'll fly out there....buy a Stumps and have it delivered there.....use it...sell it for a song.....and come home with our tail between our legs! In any event....I can see us coming IF a promising event is not near by.
Pickin' Porkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #86
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I can't imagine anyone paying extra to cook next to a celeb or whatever. I'm also doubtful that 100 teams will show up in Las Vegas to cook for $100k.

IMO this is where a lot of potential big events have gone bad. The BBQ guy really wants to see it happen so he goes along with the promoters on these kind of things and then when they don't work out it either gets canceled or is a one and out with hard feelings. Can anyone tell us how many teams were at the last Vegas contest?
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #87
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Oh... I was going to ask to be next to you Ray... And pay the extra money so I could be next to a legit celebrity...

Enjoy Chi-town Ray. I'm going to where it's warm...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #88
Jaybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I can't imagine anyone paying extra to cook next to a celeb or whatever. I'm also doubtful that 100 teams will show up in Las Vegas to cook for $100k.

IMO this is where a lot of potential big events have gone bad. The BBQ guy really wants to see it happen so he goes along with the promoters on these kind of things and then when they don't work out it either gets canceled or is a one and out with hard feelings. Can anyone tell us how many teams were at the last Vegas contest?
I think there was about 80 some the first year and about 50 some the next year.

Yeah Scottie's comin out here in the land of sun.....and snakes, turantulas, gila monsters and scorpions. Should be a great weekend!!
It's the way that you roll!"
:butt:
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #89
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post

It was 89 in 2003 & 58 (I think) for 2004 Heat n up the Bay
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #90
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
It was 89 in 2003 & 58 (I think) for 2004 Heat n up the Bay
So, how do we get from that to over 100? Five years later I just don't think $100k is going to be enough of a draw with the expense involved in traveling there and entry fees etc.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote