MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #76
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

I guess I was under the assumption that I had made a chicken burger. I got that idea after looking at the burger throwdown example picture which is a meat other than beef and wanted to do something different. True it is not ground it never even donned on me that what I made was not a chicken burger. My heart is broken into a million pieces and I don't know how I'll ever make it through this ordeal. I wasn't trying to bend rules I really thought I had made a chicken burger. Oh well fair is fair. Can I at least consider this a zero?

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #77
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
It was a bit late when I posted last night, and I forgot to add the 'proof'...
The proof is in the pudding! And you just delivered more pudding to the Brethren than Bill Cosby sold to America.

Man does that look good Curt! WTG!!
Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #78
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
I guess I was under the assumption that I had made a chicken burger. I got that idea after looking at the burger throwdown example picture which is a meat other than beef and wanted to do something different. True it is not ground it never even donned on me that what I made was not a chicken burger. My heart is broken into a million pieces and I don't know how I'll ever make it through this ordeal. I wasn't trying to bend rules I really thought I had made a chicken burger. Oh well fair is fair. Can I at least consider this a zero?
Well, I guess it won't be getting any votes!

I guess this means I will need to start describing the category for people to avoid such confusion going forward.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #79
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

You folks have really got me salivating today! Guess I am gonna have to make a couple of burgers for myself real soon. Thanks for all the great pics and great ideas!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #80
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I wasn't trying to call out a DQ, just teasing. Ak, you can make me one if those, and call it anything you want... I'll enjoy every bite!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #81
Rick's Tropical Delight

burgers are served on a bun so i disqualify meself.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #82
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
burgers are served on a bun so i disqualify meself.

No.... that's cr@p. I had this problem with the sandwich throwdown, A burger is a subcategory of a sandwich. After Chris and I cleared that up, I fluked watching a show on Cable (yes, we have that over here strung up between 2 gum trees with animal skins chucked over the top to make a nice humpy...)

Anyway, the show was about the history of the burger. Throughout the whole show, they CONSTANTLY referred to burgers as sandwiches.... AND importantly, the restaurant officially credited with making the first burger, which is still in business today, first served their burgers on WHITE SANDWICH Bread...

So there... You're in Bro!
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #83
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
that first one is a great photo and it looks like it could be a ground chicken burger coated in panko. i'd say you used a coarse screen when grinding that chicken.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #84
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
that first one is a great photo and it looks like it could be a ground chicken burger coated in panko. i'd say you used a coarse screen when grinding that chicken.
It was as course ground as you can get . Maybe I can use the grind filter in photoshop

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #85
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

The all-American burger is served on Wonderbread and not a bun, so I guess it's DQ'ed also. Just saved me some time, cause I didn't use a bun either. Whatever happened to the "let the voters decide" rule. Seems that one was fair. But I guess we've got a whale-shaggin', tree-schmoozin', Chez-snackin' communist running things now who assumes the people are too stupid to make their own decisions for themselves and has to make them for us. I wish Bigabyte would find his foil hat again. He rants much better than I do. Landarc, are you in Chris' head? I'm sorry I only left some beans and scattered bits of foil for you. Perhaps you can leave Chris' head if you're there and come back. I'll try to slip a few beef ribs in there!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #86
bigabyte

Let's not let this get out of control. I really hope my correction doesn't steer this thing towards overcorrection, or lead to too much nitpicking.

I think if someone submits a patty of ground meat or (heavens forbid) ground meat substitute, that will qualify enough to get into the voting thread.

What I would hate to see is someone submit a pulled pork sandwich, or a whole brisket, or something else along those lines. That is why I am putting in this rule, to allow for any mischief to be handled.

Smokey Al was not trying to trick anyone, or do anything mischevious, and I totally understand where he was coming from and originally was going to let this one be decided by the voters. I meant no ill will towards anyone by taking this step.

The reason I did something is because I just know that some joker or jokers out there somewhere could take that case as a reason to start submitting entries that are not really in the category at hand. Call me paranoid, but I think some people like stirring up controversy and this is simply to avoid a clear issue that can be addressed simply.

We just all need to come to grips with it really. I don't think it is out of hand, but then since I came up with the idea I'm biased perhaps.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #87
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
The all-American burger is served on Wonderbread and not a bun, so I guess it's DQ'ed also. Just saved me some time, cause I didn't use a bun either. Whatever happened to the "let the voters decide" rule. Seems that one was fair. But I guess we've got a whale-shaggin', tree-schmoozin', Chez-snackin' communist running things now who assumes the people are too stupid to make their own decisions for themselves and has to make them for us. I wish Bigabyte would find his foil hat again. He rants much better than I do. Landarc, are you in Chris' head? I'm sorry I only left some beans and scattered bits of foil for you. Perhaps you can leave Chris' head if you're there and come back. I'll try to slip a few beef ribs in there!
LMAO!!! Maybe I will ultimately decide that was the best course of action. I dunno. It would be too easy for people to get zero's if they simply submit something they know should otherwise not even be submitted. Then what would we have? A Throwdown with half of the entries that are intended for contention, and half that are purposefully thrown in to get an easy zero?

Duh.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #88
bigabyte

Please note, I edited the text above that will be included in the new rules to the following. I think this says it better.

The dish must fit the category. Please do not submit something that does not match the category. I will personally oversee the entries, and if an entry does not fit the category in it's most fundamental form as I understand it to be, the entry will be disqualified. There will be no appeals process, however I promise to be as fair as I possibly can in regards to enforcing this rule. So please be mindful of the category when submitting your entry. Feel free to ask questions if you have questions about what would or would not qualify.

Duh.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #89
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Let's not let this get out of control. I really hope my correction doesn't steer this thing towards overcorrection, or lead to too much nitpicking.

I think if someone submits a patty of ground meat or (heavens forbid) ground meat substitute, that will qualify enough to get into the voting thread.

What I would hate to see is someone submit a pulled pork sandwich, or a whole brisket, or something else along those lines. That is why I am putting in this rule, to allow for any mischief to be handled.

Smokey Al was not trying to trick anyone, or do anything mischevious, and I totally understand where he was coming from and originally was going to let this one be decided by the voters. I meant no ill will towards anyone by taking this step.

The reason I did something is because I just know that some joker or jokers out there somewhere could take that case as a reason to start submitting entries that are not really in the category at hand. Call me paranoid, but I think some people like stirring up controversy and this is simply to avoid a clear issue that can be addressed simply.

We just all need to come to grips with it really. I don't think it is out of hand, but then since I came up with the idea I'm biased perhaps.
But it will lead to overcorrection. I now would whole-heartedly agree with Rick. The fun will go out of these contests, especially with "prizes" on the line. There will be no end to the nit-picking and this will no longer be fun. Let the voters decide is the best course of action.

For me, some of the best entries are the ones that seek a novel method of overcoming the obstacle. We had two cases of boneless ribs in the last throwdown. They are outstanding examples, both novel and superb, one even a sandwich! Would this be submitted if the participant had to guess whether to submit this based on an arbitrary definition of what is a rib? Whose loss would that be? What about chops and nuggets? You'd have to personally approve every entry and contend with objections. Your life would be hell!

Personally, if someone submits a pulled pork sandwich or brisket, I don't think they'd receive many votes. One demonstration of this was last contest with two entries of bone in ribeyes or prime rib. These look completely delicious, but last I looked the voters seemed to feel the entrants pushed the envelope a bit too far (or not far enough perhaps). To me this demonstrates the voters can decide these matters.

As far as zeros go. I had no idea this would be such a status symbol -- go figure. I have no problem with lots of members, but will happily disband the club if it is causing this heartache. For me these throwdowns are one of the best parts of this site and I would not like to see them compromised.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #90
bigabyte

First off, I do NOT want the Zero's club to go away. That is part of the fun. Maybe not as big for some as the Throwdowns, but it is a lot of fun for me and others to get that badge of honor.

I am hoping that with this new rule, and a description of what would qualify, we can have both and maintain integrity going forward for both the Throwdowns, and to ensure only worthy zero's earn their zero's.

For example, you mentioned last weeks Beef Ribs. If I provide a basic fundamental description to guide people, I think we could still have had the creative dishes. For example, would this description have prevented those dishes from being made?

To qualify for the Beef Rib Throwdown, your entry must be made using meat from beef ribs that originally had bones in it. The exact cut you use or the nature in which you photograph the meat is up to you so long as there is meat used that matches the description provided.

Would that work? As for getting questions...I get them already, but usually just respond, "The voters will decide". That would still be the most common response I'm sure, since all anyone should need to know is in the rules and the category description.

Thoughts?

Duh.

Tags
burger, Burger Throwdown, BURGERS ONLY PLEASE!, Chicken Sammich Burger, Chicken Toadstool Burger, Cooking with the Master, gasser, Great Chicken Debacle, Great Chicken Sammich, Great Debacle, Great Debacle 2010, Great Sammich Debacle, Lee Greenwood, Rantburger, Shiner 101, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread, Weenie Burger