"Pulled Beef" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, Oct.12th!!

Thanks brother Matt!

That is correct. While stupid good the execution failed and not my intended dish.

On a brighter side I still got a week. :becky:

I want to try making “Beef Barria” at some point, but haven’t finalized my plans yet.

We learn from our mistakes - what did you do that didn’t work, and what will you do next time? I figured on firing up the BS for final prep and doing the tortillas on that, but maybe a skillet (with a way to easily contain the liquid) would be better.

I want to try making “Beef Barria” at some point, but haven’t finalized my plans yet.

We learn from our mistakes - what did you do that didn’t work, and what will you do next time? I figured on firing up the BS for final prep and doing the tortillas on that, but maybe a skillet (with a way to easily contain the liquid) would be better.

Sako’s only two mistakes were he didn’t make more and he didn’t invite me.

Here is my entry photo for the Pulled Beef Throwdown, "Cajun Rice & Gravy".
My cooks thread in Q-Talk is HERE.

Wj5DzDO.jpg

Screwed up at the very last step of folding the meat and cheese filled tortillas. I dipped the tortillas in the red broth I had cooked the meat in and my skillet wasn't hot enough to quickly firm up the corn tortillas. Tortillas had soaked up to much liquid and fell apart.

Like you said the BS will be perfect. I used my CI pan instead of my BS flattop. Everything else was on point.

Sako’s only two mistakes were he didn’t make more and he didn’t invite me.

Yeah, I’d definitely hit his “alternate menu”. :hungry:

:bekcy:

Thanks guys!

Plan is doing it again but I have some duroc butts this time for the protein. :heh: Wouldn't qualify for the TD but I know it'll taste amazing. We'll see.

Excuse me, but you had it nailed, right there!
That pic is money on your original idea.

Thanks John!

That's the only pic that isn't mine. This pic just illustrates what I was aiming for but fell short because my red broth soaked tortillas fell apart. Needed a little more heat for this very last step.

Thanks John!

That's the only pic that isn't mine. This pic just illustrates what I was aiming for but fell short because my red broth soaked tortillas fell apart. Needed a little more heat for this very last step.
Wait a minute, there's your problem.
When making authentic tortillas rojas you don't dip the tortilla in salsa casera or red chile broth before cooking, you incorporate the red chile sauce/broth in place of some of the water when preparing the masa for the tortillas.
Yes you'll need to make your own tortillas, but then you won't have them falling apart on you.
Making your own handmade tortillas is actually very easy, and they're way way better then store bought.

Wait a minute, there's your problem.
When making authentic tortillas rojas you don't dip the tortilla in salsa casera or red chile broth before cooking, you incorporate the red chile sauce/broth in place of some of the water when preparing the masa for the tortillas.
Yes you'll need to make your own tortillas, but then you won't have them falling apart on you.
Making your own handmade tortillas is actually very easy, and they're way way better then store bought.

Thanks! :thumb:

I've done that when making Masa for tamales. Makes complete sense. Guess homemade tortillas it is.

Please consider this my entry into the Pulled Beef throwdown. Please use the last picture (the plate of nachos) for judging.

This cook occurred last weekend, 10/3/2020. I had a bunch of stuff going on the smoker for a last minute catering job, so I threw some beef short ribs on as well.

I had some short ribs that were cut across the bones and one that was the full rib. Went ahead and seasoned all of them the same. Killer Hogs AP as a base layer and then Simply Marvelous Pepper Beef on top.

Went on the drum at 300 with a couple of chunks of apple and pecan.

We had some for dinner that night and then had leftover pulled beef rib nachos later in the week. Made some simple queso with Velveeta and Rotel, added some olives and homemade garden salsa.

*Chef's Kiss*

Attachments

• IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 230
This will be my entry into the throwdown
50465293516_3bb8bea373_b.jpg

Full Cook thread
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286349

Clayton,

Nice example and use of pulled beef! :clap:

Unfortunately, entries were due yesterday at 12 noon Central time:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/25 through Monday 10/12.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 10/12.

The entry deadline is always posted at the beginning of each Throwdown, and is almost always on a Monday at noon central time.

Back