MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Sweetsmoke87
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default Opinion on multiple meats on same amoker for time and temp

I was asked to do all the meat for my god daughters graduation party. It's a double party so expecting approximately 100 people. So far the menu is 3 butts 3 Chuck roasts a few spatchcock chicks and a bunch of chicken quarters. Question is what temp would you run the smoker, should I go low n slow then finish off the chicken on the grill or should I do a hot and fast for the whole thing around 275-300. Time is not an issue, thinking go low and slow on the pork and beef till they are ready to wrap, bump the heat for the chicken, then when pork and beef are done move them to the warmer above the firebox to rest while the chicken finishes. What's your opinions how would you do it?
Sweetsmoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
nachos4life
Take a breath!

We fill the pit with all kinds of meats and always cook around 300. Its where our pit settles in the easiest.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

My smoker really likes to run at 260-275. To me this is an ideal temp. To me the age old 225 is out of the park. I think everything that you're cooking can be done very well at this temp. Set up your grill for a hot finish on the chicken to crisp the skin.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Sweetsmoke87
Knows what a fatty is.

Sounds good guys thanks for the input. How fast are you guys cooking 10lb butts at that temp?
Sweetsmoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

Like any cook, it depends on the thickness and density of the meat. I can see a 10 pounder being done anywhere from 5 to 10 hours.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsmoke87 View Post
Sounds good guys thanks for the input. How fast are you guys cooking 10lb butts at that temp?
6-8 hours. depends on how jam packed we have our pit or how often we are in and out of it for various things.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:11 AM   #7
Sweetsmoke87
Knows what a fatty is.

just wanted to say thanks for all the info. Everything came out perfect and was done exactly on time. Ended up doing 2 shoulders, 5 tri-tips, 35 thighs, 8 leg 1/4s, and about 100 wings.