Meat Selection

S

smokin' steeze

Afternoon Bretheren,

After re-discovering Findlay Market one of Cincinnati's finest markets & one of the city's oldest establishments I have spent the last month or so getting to know the lay of the land there. Along with a nice farmers market there are 5 different butchers selling their cuts inside the market house. I spent about an hour window shopping on my first day & found a guy that I really like and who has recognised me on all my return visits and gone above and beyone to serve me.

Well the other day I was sharing my conquests with a neighbor who proceeded to insist that I was settling by using this guys meat vs another vendor a few stalls down. So last time I went I scoped everyone out again, the prices were pretty much the same (although my guy usually knocks a quarter or so off his prices "just for me").

My big question is what do I look for when it comes to the cut of pork?(Spares & Butts) I try to do my best to eyeball it so to speak and choos what I think looks the best but I really dont know what specifics to look for.

So what key features do you guys look at when you are selecting which one of the "treats" are going to be sacraficed on your grills each weekend?

On Spares I always look to ensure that you can't see the top of the bone thru the meat. I also look for ribs that have a good amount of fat on them. When I buy ribs that are in cryovac I always look for the ribs that have the least amount of liquid visible in the cryovac(this means the meat has purged the moisture).

For ribs, a good amount of meat on the rack (on top of the bones) and uniform fat distribution. For a but, same thing - a good amount of uniform fat.

For both, a nice fresh appearance of the meat:

bon117.jpg

The color should be uniform, it shouldn't look gray, it should smell fresh, etc.

Back