Need a good rib glaze..

kbraun228

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm entering my first "comp" (actually a tailgating cook-off at my church where the the prize is an actual bronze tailgate) tomorrow, and need a good recipe for a rib glaze for finishing. I usually don't foil and sometimes don't even sauce the last 30 mins but do spray with an AJ/AC mix after 3 hours. I'm just trying to cook to the "judges" (my pastor and a couple of older guys) taste, and we are in South Mississippi where we like our Q sweet..Thanks in advance bro's! :thumb:

Add some honey to your sauce to make a glaze and put on for 20 min or so before taking them off.

Yup...honey is the way to go...:becky:

1 cup sauce
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon butter

Warm the sauce over low heat till the butter melts then glaze your ribs...:thumb:

A glaze I use a lot is, Sweet Baby Rays, thinned with OJ, honey, and fresh cracked black pepper. I’ve never used it for a comp, but everybody seems to like it.

we are in South Mississippi where we like our Q sweet..Thanks in advance bro's! :thumb:

Take your favorite BBQ sauce and mix in 25% clover leaf honey. I usually use Spicewine Blue Collar, Cookies Original, or Head Country. :thumb:

it may sound crazy, but grape jelly, take bout cup of fave sauce, mix 1/4 cup of grape jelly, i heat it up to get a good mix, get all the chunks outta the jelly, and it shines like the dickens!!!

Jellies are good, honey is always good(except when too strong of taste) and one overlooked item is syrups. Karo light, cane sugar,pure maple and molasses. Have to be careful of not upsetting flavor by using too much of whatever. A little goes a long way flavorwise. Many contests have been captured by Blueshog, Head Country and even KC Masterpeice, all mixed with honey or jelly. Steve.

it may sound crazy, but grape jelly, take bout cup of fave sauce, mix 1/4 cup of grape jelly, i heat it up to get a good mix, get all the chunks outta the jelly, and it shines like the dickens!!!

Great ideas all..In my scouring of the Internet, I did find a glaze that called for grape jelly, honey, chili sauce, mustard and a couple dry ingredients. I think I'm leaning toward that mixed in with my sauce like everyone suggested. Thanks again everyone, I'm sure to bring home the prized tailgate now! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I use a 50% apricot sauce to a 50% mesquite honey for mine. But I also have a pretty spicy rub, so the extra honey compliments it well. Best thing to do is mix up a few different ratio batches and try them on different slabs and see what you like best.

Apple butter and some BBQ sauce (sweet baby rays). Optionally add some extra honey and a tablespoon or so of the rub you put on the ribs. I'm actually doing some 3-2-1 ribs today that will be finished with this.

Might want to try a modified version of alien butt juice. I use vodka instead of rum for my own cooks.

Back