MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #46
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Walmart carries cowboy? Or are you talking about Royal Oak?
Im sorry, Royal Oak.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #47
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I used RO in my kettle for the first time earlier tonight. I can tell ya, it's my new go-to lump.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #48
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

After reading hundreds of opinons the last couple months I decided to give lump a try. Found RO at a local lumber yard (15# bag for $15.00). I'm on my 2nd bag now and a true believer in lump. But, I have'nt smoked with it yet only grill. It burns HOT and my Tri Tips have hit a new level. Even my Wife noticed a diff. Gonna give Cowboy a shot next time though.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #49
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedex View Post
After reading hundreds of opinons the last couple months I decided to give lump a try. Found RO at a local lumber yard (15# bag for $15.00). I'm on my 2nd bag now and a true believer in lump. But, I have'nt smoked with it yet only grill. It burns HOT and my Tri Tips have hit a new level. Even my Wife noticed a diff. Gonna give Cowboy a shot next time though.

Yup, lump is the way to go, if your doing low and slow you need to have some experience with it as it gets hot fast.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #50
Lkahriger
Got rid of the matchlight.

Great info! Thanks!
Lkahriger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #51
Melrod59
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm currently using the new Cowboy lump and I'm very impressed. I started @ 11:00 last night when I put a 10lb packer brisket on. I took it off @ 203 degrees @ 12:00 noon today. I then put on two slabs of baby backs. It's now 3:15 PM and it's still going strong at 248 degrees. I use a WSM 22.5. I love the stuff. I have 6 bags left.
Melrod59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

cowboy changed their source for wood a while back. It used to have pretty uniform size, after the change I was getting bags with a few handfulls of lump and like 2-3 HUGE pieces of lump. I let it slide the first time but the next bag was the same thing, just a small amount of useable lump and a few extremely large pieces. I contacted Cowboy, that's when I found out about the change. That was a few years ago, I think I bought it once or twice since then (out of necessity). I buy RO mostly.
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Default I'd take RO over Cowboy

I've used both quite a bit. They both aren't bad, but the RO seems a lot more consistent as far as size and quality go. I have found plywood in Cowboy before.

Also, I light my BGE with a torch, and Cowboy tends to spark a ton more than RO. Lots of dust, which I assume is from the break down of the lump during shipping and stocking.

Around my parts, RO tends to be a bit more than Cowboy (unless there is some kind of sale), but I'd say the couple bucks more are worth it as the RO seems to last longer, burn cleaner, and has less dust.

Also, and I don't know if this really indicative one way or the other, but I have seen fire-grilled (or whatever they call themselves) using RO for their grills. Don't know if this is just because that's what Sysco carries or if they actually prefer it. Usually restaurants favor consistency above all else (including taste).

Naked Wiz has a great charcoal comparison guide by the way, though most probably know that. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

(Is it cool to give other sites props here?)

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #54
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Lazzari is pretty good stuff. It does have some huge chunks. I cannot get Wicked Good right now in the Houston area so I am scrambling. The only place I see Royal Oak is at Wal Mart and they have a policy of handling a bag of lump charcoal 100 times before the customer gets their hands on it. That way, all of the annoying big pieces are sufficiently broken into dust. HEB and Academy seem to have the same policy on the B & B they stock. On a side note, I have tried to do business with B & B and as people go, let me just say, there are way nicer people in the world then them. By a long shot. They have good product but they are world class jerks.

I run a distribution company in Houston and have a bunch of warehouse space and the ability to bring products in as long as I can turn them and make a profit. I am looking at getting into the charcoal business. I contacted Wicked Good about being a distributor for them here in Houston, but they are having serious supply issues according to the owner. My plan is to bring in full containers of charcoal and sell it out of my warehouse to stores. I will also have it available to individuals. All I have to do is find a good source, so all of you Texas guys stay tuned. Unless I can sell Wicked Good or a product as good as what they have sold in the past, I will not bother with it though.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #55
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

BGE is re-labeled RO. I never like Cowboy. It smells and burns like crap

Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #56
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I have no problem with the cowboy. Been using it for a few months now and love it. I did buy some RO a couple of weeks ago and I like it too but the Cowboy is just as good IMO and cheaper. BTW, this was in the last bag of RO I used. That's right, a 5.3 oz rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rorock 001.jpg (41.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg rorock 002.jpg (49.8 KB, 71 views)
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #57
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Who buys the small bags of cowboy? The 20# bags I have bought lately have had a bunch of fist size or better in them. I'm not familiar with the red bags R.O. But the green bags have been very good lately. The R.O. Seems to be less dense than the cowboy and thus burns faster. All just my opinion but it comes from a lot of trial and error!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #58
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I'm a fan of the new Cowboy. Love it. I haven't used RO yet.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #59
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I love about Royal Oak is the initial smell when you open the bag.
jonmhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #60
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I went to Lowes about 2 weeks ago and bought 2 bags of the 20# that were on sale. It's the first time I've used Cowboy in about 3 years after reading here how much better it is now. BULL@#$&! First off the pieces that I was able to use were about the size of a foot ball. I had to smash them up with a hammer. The rest was about 10# of dust and unusable very small chips. I still don't know what to do with it and I'm to cheap to just throw it out. I will never buy cowboy again!

Thanks from:--->