Ham

TALEG8R BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I need advise on a ham - type, size (6 people) & cooking time/temps. Thanks if advance!

I just did a couple of 10 lbs. bone in hams, they took about 3.5 hours at a grate temp of 280 to reach 135 internal, at which point I pulled them and rested.

If it's not 6 hungry guys and you have other sides one ham of about this same size should be fine. Leftover ham is always good too, so go for something bigger.

I highly recommend Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked ham, do a search you'll find tons of results for the recipe.

I do the Cook's brand pre-smoked ones all the time. They take about 4 hours in the smoke at 225 and then score, glaze and finish in the oven at 250 for about an hour. This is my simple and easy method I refere to as "Dog Style.":eek::wink::biggrin:

Curious, why not score before putting on the smoker? I figured this would create more surface area for the smoke and glaze.

Curious, why not score before putting on the smoker? I figured this would create more surface area for the smoke and glaze.

You could do it this way too, I imagine. I don't so I don't have to worry about drying it out and am too lazy to baste it every 30-60 min. I get plenty of smoke penetration so that is not an issue. Interesting idea though. Let us know if you try it this way. My way is just a super easy way with great results IMHO.

I also only do this with 1/2 hams. Never cooked a whole one. Rookie 48 does whole ones.

What do you use for the glaze, 'Dog? I ordered a whole Boar's Head ham from Greg and I am picking it up later. I haven't decided how I'm cooking it (except in one of the Eggs. That's a given :-D). I thought about something exotic, like a mango-honey glaze just for fun.

What do you use for the glaze, 'Dog? I ordered a whole Boar's Head ham from Greg and I am picking it up later. I haven't decided how I'm cooking it (except in one of the Eggs. That's a given :-D). I thought about something exotic, like a mango-honey glaze just for fun.

That sounds good Ron and certainly more exotic. I use a mix of pineapple juice and Caro syrup with cloves stuck in the ham.

Gotta love the double smoked ham. I have tried Dr. Chicken's recipe and found it to be a lot of work basting the outside and then removing the rind. Didn't make sense to me. Dog your way sounds pretty darn easy and interesting.
Anybod ever try a Georgia Hot Ham?

Not really knowning, I asked the butcher to cut a whole fresh ham in half - about 8 or 9lbs. So, this is what I've got to work with.
I'd like to glaze (thinking fruit glaze or apple butter) & smoke until 150 - 160. Thoughts?

Well... 1/2 bone in fresh ham is as they say - different than the typical ham. I smoked @ 230 for 6hrs, foiled & finished in the oven for an additional hour. Deep 1/2" smoke ring. Wasn't sure what to expect, but wasn't expecting what I got. It had the consistancy of a pork chop. As mentioned, very good - just not what I was expecting. Anyway. Ate that w/ some smoked mac & cheese.
What was really good were the left-overs. Sliced the ham & cubed the steaks. Drizzled bbq sauce & sauteed for 20 minutes. It made a very good bbq pork sammie.

I use the Cook's ham also, but mine are whole, bone in, shank-less, cured & smoked. I start with an AJ/JD, cinnamon & brown sugar injection the night before. Inject until it won't hold any more, wrap tightly in at least 2 layers of Saran Wrap & toss in the fridge overnight. Bring it out of the fridge just before you start up the pit. When you cut off the Saran Wrap you better have the ham on a baking sheet, it might be messy. Smoke @ 235*, spraying every couple of hours with AJ/JD, till you hit 175* or so, do the foil, towel cooler thingy for about 4 to 6 hours (until the internal temp goes down to 145*).
I usually do two hams at the same time, then slice & vacu-suck to toss in the freezer. I use hickory & mesquite for smoke, but that's just me:mrgreen:.

May be a local thing.....but I prefer the Little Dixie bone in hams to Cooks...I like the cure better.

Sorry the fresh ham didn't turn out to your expectations, but don't give up, try a pre-cooked bone in ham, you'll love it....

It was raining/snowing here, so our Easter ham was done in the oven..same old recipe I've used for years.....a 12oz can of Coke and a Reynolds turkey bag.....you just can't beat it!

I smoked another of my Infamous Dog Style Hams this weekend and it was the best yet. I'm telling ya guys, use a quality ham, I use Cook's, and just smoke it. No prep, no injection, no nutin. Let the flavor of the ham do the talking.

I did the same Dog. Time was short so I just put a store bought ham on the kettle with some briquettes and apple chunks. Pretty good eatin'. All of my grandkids sure stuffed themselves.

My usual double-smoked ham is a lot like Dog and Kevin are talking about.
Buy a pre-cooked cured ham[around here Smithfield brand usually works out best]. Throw it in the smoke for a few hours, then glaze it.
My usual glaze is an Orange Juice, honey, and mustard mix, with lots of warm spices like cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, white pepper, etc.

Simple, but good enough that I always get asked to do it again.

Gotta love the double smoked ham. I have tried Dr. Chicken's recipe and found it to be a lot of work basting the outside and then removing the rind. Didn't make sense to me. Dog your way sounds pretty darn easy and interesting.

Anybod ever try a Georgia Hot Ham?

Not to hi-jack but could you please speak to us of this "Georgia Hot Ham"?
You have my attention.

Thankee

Cook's Steamship Ham-these are not injected with anything and have a superior flavor

Back