MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
msells
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Marty
Default Monitoring of 3rd party temperature sensors with a computer (Linux, Thermopro, Raspberry Pi, DIY with no soldering!)

l;dr: (too long, didn’t read): The $43 ThermoPro TP-08S kit reports temperatures over 433.9Mhz and you can get a $20 Software Defined Radio (SDR) USB dongle to read them from a computer (Linux, RaspberryPi, possibly Android w/ OTG cable, Windows, +??). This seems like a nice gateway into remote monitoring. I’ve never trusted the Bluetooth stuff and while my Fireboard is cool, if I had known about this before I may not have bought the Fireboard (but their probes are so nice…).

Getting the USB dongle if you already have supported temperature sensors is inexpensive. The USB SDR I’m using is a “Nooelec NESDR Mini USB RTL-SDR & ADS-B Receiver Set, RTL2832U & R820T Tuner”. List of sensors is at https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433 under the running section. It will probably also pickup your existing weather sensors and other "stuff" and let you log that from a computer. Windows info @ https://github.com/winterrace/rtl_433_win/releases Linux info at https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433

#end-tl-dr

#Long geeky part starts here….

I wanted to build my own temperature monitoring system with multiple remote sensors and bought several micro controllers (ESP32, Arduino, ..) along with raw temperature sensors like the various DS18B20 options. Raw sensors are $1, waterproof ones are $2. I built some ESP32 hardware, things looked “nice”. But really I wanted to have remote sensors that I didn’t have to plug into USB or AC power so I was facing having to put batteries with each sensor and charge them. Solar? Wait, they’re not even weatherproof! I am not actually a hardware guy so this seemed like a lot of effort and parts.....

I took a pretty big 180 turn when I realized that a lot of the weather station kits (AcuRite 02082M with 3 sensors and a nice console for $76) would report in via 433.9Mhz and I could just get a $20 SDR USB dongle and listen for their incoming beacons with temperature information. $100 later it all worked as planned. I put one AcuRite sensor in my garage, another on my back porch and one in my refrigerator. All reporting into a Raspberry Pi (Linux) box.

So the next interesting thing that happened was I looked at the raw logs that https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433 had produced and noticed sensors that were not mine! Amusingly some were TPMS, which seemed to correspond to Amazon delivery times - I know one delivery van has a low tire. I got readings for home security stuff from probably a neighbor about glass break sensors. A few days ago while reviewing the logs I noticed something more interesting for BBQ folks:

{"time" : "2019-12-04 04:17:14", "model" : "Thermopro TP11 Thermometer", "id" : 0, "temperature_F" : -4.000}

Wait, that’s not my Thermopen, is it?! Oh, no my Thermopen broke a second time and I haven’t sent it back in for repair because I’m annoyed it broke AGAIN. Uhh, read more carefully.. Pen != pro And it’s reporting really cold! Not me… But this suggested that ThermoPro thermometers talks on 433Mhz as well! So I fired up my ThermoPro TP-08S ($43 on Amazon) in my office. It’s a pretty commonly recommended RF “one on the grill, one in the meat” starter kit. I have that and a full on FireBoard too.

Boom!

{"time" : "2019-12-05 19:55:41", "model" : "Thermopro TP12 Thermometer", "id" : 28, "temperature_1_F" : 71.780, "temperature_2_F" : 71.240}

#end geeky part

I haven’t followed the HeaterMeater situation after I got my FireBoard but for anyone wanting monitoring only that doesn’t want to solder anything and already has a compatible sensor this is probably nice info & not much money. Compatible devices are listed on (https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433).

I'll probably try it out on my next cook (I don't cook often) - more probes makes things taste better, right? Without a fan control this isn't what I'm going to pursue but I'll probably toss my USB SDR in a bag if I'm taking the ThermoPro for travel.

-m
msells is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

So I appreciate all the effort but what's the reason you would need for that unit to send signal to a computer to monitor when it already has a separate device that comes with it that is portable to monitor the temp already?
Maybe I'm missing something.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Pretty slick! Raspberry Pi's and Arduino's are pretty cool aren't they?

Old 12-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMSMKER View Post
So I appreciate all the effort but what's the reason you would need for that unit to send signal to a computer to monitor when it already has a separate device that comes with it that is portable to monitor the temp already?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Exactly! Why bother to reverse sear using two cookers (one to smoke and one to sear) . Or sous vide when you just have to put a crust on it!

Why light a fire when we have electricity!

Sheesh. Just use a crockpot for them ribs and butts!
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

The tl;dr was still tl;dr.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
The tl;dr was still tl;dr.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMSMKER View Post
Because he can?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote