MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Smokestack88
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Daniel
Default Work horse pits stick burner or Moberg 250

Hey everyone Work horse pits just released there offset cookers and I am thinking about getting one one . Just wanted to know what you guys think . I will post a link to there website. Work horse pits is 24x 48 inch offset with 3/8 inch thick steel and 27 inch fire box. Jimmy Daniels from primitive pits owns work horse and there right next door to each other.
https://www.workhorsepits.com/product-page/1975-1

Or should I go with my dream pit the Moberg’s 250 gallon offset smoker everyone probably should know who sunny moberg is. Wondering if anyone if the forum owns a moberg?

This is stick burner is only going to be for the backyard cooking. Let me know what you guys think ?
Smokestack88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

You're talking about a world of difference in size, cost, pretty much everything. Moberg is on my list as a dream smoker, but I just can't justify that amount for something to use at the house only for myself and when I do have party at the house. But that's my situation with a family, yours may be different. I think you need to figure out what's important in a smoker first.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Smokestack88
Found some matches.

Iam lookimg into which smoker is going to function better and perform.better draw , efficiency, even cooking etc.. I know the Moberg is a lot more about 2600 dollers more that’s no problem to me you buy once and cry once and it’s always been my dream. I think a 250 gallon is 30 x60 cook chamber correct? Also was talking to some pit masters about it and and they also said to remember that the grate closest to the firebox you won’t be able to cook on becuase it’s gets hot and you lose real estate .

Old 09-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

My opinion...

Workhorse Pits "tack-tac-tack" welds. Not acceptable at all in any way, shape or form. I never in my life seen any pit builder resort to this. You can see each weld theres a "blob" with a dimple in the middle. That's because it's not a weld bead, just a bunch of overlaying tacks. They just strung together a bunch of temporary tacks in a line in attempt to make it look pretty. There's not going to be any proper fusion at all. This is what you do when you first buy a welder off Ebay and keep blowing holes in everything because you don't know what you're doing, but want the "stack of dimes" look. You will resort to doing this "tack tack tack" method. In the bottom picture it's an outside corner joint, and the tacks don't even fill up the bevel. I'm totally stunned to see a "pit builder" doing this in a commercial setting. The "tack tack tack" is what you do on body panel sheet metal. Not 3/8ths thick steel.

The entire pits are done using this horrible "tack" method. You can see each weld blob has a dimple in it.

Here's a Moberg. That's a proper weld and solid bead. No dimples. That will hold up to any test and last a million years.

Here's a Millscale Metal Works weld. This is years of skill on full display. Pure art. This is what the Workhorse guy is trying to emulate, but he can't do it because he can't weld. So he does the "tack-tack-tack" method to get close as possible and it just results in blob mess all over the smoker.

Last edited by Rockinar; 09-25-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

"Here's a Moberg. That's a proper weld and solid bead. No dimples. That will hold up to any test and last a million years."

Hardly. That will have turned back into Iron Ore long, long before a million years.
I was born in the dark. But it wasn't last night.

Hell, my Pontoon boat, including the Aluminum dry deck will be Basalt in 300 years.
I don't plan on being here...

Old 09-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Ozro
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Ozro

If you're located in SoCal, may I suggest looking at JH Smokers as well. Just picked up a pit from Justin 2 weeks ago and am enjoying it so far. Alot of value for the prices he sells at.

I plan on posting a full review this weekend but here is some of his work.

https://www.instagram.com/j.h.smokers/

I asked for a fair amount of customization and Justin was able to accommodate. Went with a 28x72 trailer model, 3/8" steel, 3' custom axle (56" overall width) to get it in the back yard.
Ozro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
"Here's a Moberg. That's a proper weld and solid bead. No dimples. That will hold up to any test and last a million years."

Hardly. That will have turned back into Iron Ore long, long before a million years.
I was born in the dark. But it wasn't last night.

Hell, my Pontoon boat, including the Aluminum dry deck will be Basalt in 300 years.
I don't plan on being here...

"one million years" was said metaphorically, not literally. I think most people understand that.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
Smokestack88
Found some matches.

@Rockinar Yeah those welds do look tack tack on the workhorse. Have you had the chance to cook on a moberg ?? Anyone can chime in that has one? I was looking at the 94 gallon millscale but at 5,000 total and that's with shipping i just rather get the moberg 250 gallon for 6 k on skids painted.

This is exactly what i want but i think iam going with casters what do you guys think ??

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2KyDV2B_5_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2VKTCjhs1i/

Last edited by Smokestack88; 09-25-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 09-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
My opinion...

Workhorse Pits "tack-tac-tack" welds. Not acceptable at all in any way, shape or form. I never in my life seen any pit builder resort to this. You can see each weld theres a "blob" with a dimple in the middle. That's because it's not a weld bead, just a bunch of overlaying tacks. They just strung together a bunch of temporary tacks in a line in attempt to make it look pretty. There's not going to be any proper fusion at all. This is what you do when you first buy a welder off Ebay and keep blowing holes in everything because you don't know what you're doing, but want the "stack of dimes" look. You will resort to doing this "tack tack tack" method. In the bottom picture it's an outside corner joint, and the tacks don't even fill up the bevel. I'm totally stunned to see a "pit builder" doing this in a commercial setting. The "tack tack tack" is what you do on body panel sheet metal. Not 3/8ths thick steel.

The entire pits are done using this horrible "tack" method. You can see each weld blob has a dimple in it.

Here's a Moberg. That's a proper weld and solid bead. No dimples. That will hold up to any test and last a million years.

Here's a Millscale Metal Works weld. This is years of skill on full display. Pure art. This is what the Workhorse guy is trying to emulate, but he can't do it because he can't weld. So he does the "tack-tack-tack" method to get close as possible and it just results in blob mess all over the smoker.

hate to brake your hart but those are not tacks that is from manipulateing the weld puddle i would venture to say the workhorse pit was welded with a larger size mig wire the the millscale welder is more than likly a more skilled welder but i would say the millscale weld used smaller wire with a gas cover but tac tac tac no

Old 09-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I mean...really, you answered your own question in your original post. If you call a certain cooker your "dream cooker" and you have the money for that cooker, why would you bother with an intermediary cooker? You even got further by saying "buy once, cry once," so it's pretty obvious you want the Moberg.

Just to throw a wrench into your decision making, have you ever looked at Fatstack Smokers? Looks like they are about an west of you in Sun Valley, CA. They also make some solid cookers in a similar fashion to a Moberg.

https://fatstacksmokers.com/

For reference a YouTuber has been using his for over a year and he seems to be very pleased with it. The guy has some brass balls on him..first cook with that new smoker was a huge catering event with something like 20 briskets. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvDi5k8dGqk

Old 09-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Smokestack88
Found some matches.

Smooth boar bbq yeah i know Fat stack and they make great pits but something about that moberg that aim drawn to like the square insulated box and also the slick paint and that smoke stack with the elbow instead of the collector also i heard it draws more. Hope someone can chime in with a moberg.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

If the Moberg is your dream pit then you answered your own question. If you want the best deal on an offset around IMO, then get a Workhorse. And there’s nothing wrong with those welds.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Millscale, Moberg, Austin Smokeworks, and Evie Mae are all very competitive with each other and prices are similar.

For direct flow, Austin Smokeworks will deliver fastest based on the limited research I've done and, while not a Moberg it is very similar just like Millscale.

I'm more into reverse flow so, Evie Mae is where I'm looking primarily.

All of these on a trailer will run $7K~$9K depending on options. Moberg is about 18 months out on the build schedule so, if you have your heart set on one get on the list today! Skid build will probably run in the $4500~$5500 range plus delivery.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
Smokestack88
Found some matches.

Sid 250 gallon moberg painted on skids is 6 thousand don’t know how much raw . Waiting list is 16 months . Sunny is also releasing his backyard pit 24x50 for 4,000 in winter . Found a quote for shipping for 700 bucks from Texas to Cali hopefully that’s a good price . Also should I get counter weights on a 250?

Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #15
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestack88 View Post
Also should I get counter weights on a 250?
If you plan on keeping the pit for ever then yes get the counter weight. Your shoulders will think you when you get older. A bad shoulder is why I have a cabinet door smoker and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.