First, The Barrel

DSC02342.jpg

Coals with Pecan wood

DSC02343.jpg

Picnic rubbed with Pappy's ready for the party

DSC02347.jpg

Meat goes on at 12:30am

DSC02348.jpg

Let the smoke begin. I tried to get some sleep but I was worried about the whole "fire in a wood barrel" thang so I pretty much stayed up all night and watched movies (and drank beer ;).

DSC02351.jpg

7am, beautiful morning in California, yawwwwn...

DSC02354.jpg

8:30am: Decided to add chicken and a fatty. Checked temp of picnic to see if it was close... 210 degrees! Pulled that sucker and rested in foil.

DSC02357.jpg

Chicken smokin'

DSC02361.jpg

Finished

DSC02368.jpg

What I learned from my first cook...

1. This giant barrel uses fuel like my grandpas old Buick! It's approx 130 gallons so it will take more fuel to heat that large of a space. 10 pounds of K in 10 hours.

2. My temps were reading between 230 and 250 but that was not at grate level. I'm waiting for my Spicewine thermo to get here so I can get it right under the grate. I think temps were higher at the grate making for a quick 8 hour cook on the pork. Finished product was a little bit dry but I made a Carolina style sauce which helped. Good stuff!

3. Pecan wood smells GOOOOOD coming out of that barrel! Pork drippings hitting the fire and smoking up smells even better.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to my Wine Barrel Project thread. It was a fun project to work on and think about. There's not a whole lot of 130 gallon wine barrel smokers out there to steal ideas from! The UDS thread was a big help as well. I couldn't have done it, nor would I have probably even tried, without the great help from the Brethren collective!

Have a good day everybody.

Great looking smoker.. just love it. :cool: The food looks tasty too, thanks for the post. :-D

that is beautiful, both the barrel and the food!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That cooker sure would draw an "ahhhh" or two at a competition!

Nice cook and cooker!

And 10 lbs of charcoal isn't bad....wanna borrow my old Bandera? LOL

OK, that is it, I am calling my winery buddies for a free barrel.

I think that is the neatest looking smoker. Where does one get a barrel like that?? Hermann?? How much will they cost??

This is a puncheon wine barrel from Sebastiani Winery in Sonoma, Ca. You could use a whiskey barrel as well.

I scavenged parts from an old grill in the yard to make my air intakes (one on each side)

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

You Kentucky Brethren got a source now. I would check in with local wineries and see what they have. Out here, barrels can run from free to $100 depending on age and maker. Most wineries use their barrels for no more than three years.

Wow, great to see your WBS finished and being used! It turned out a great looking smoker and the butt looked great too.

Just curious about the wooden barrel eventually drying out and not maintaining an air tight seal. Any concerns there?

Papa

Man that's anything but an Ugly smoker! Looks good!

I love that you said "to hell!" with all of the nay-sayers that told you that fire + wood barrel = disaster! I knew it would work!! =)

Good lookin' eats right there! And one awesome smoker - it sure would get you some attention at a comp.

Back