Need Tips for Brinkman Electric Water Smoker

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
My buddy got one of these for his birthday, it's his first smoker. It's a bullet style, has lava rock in the bottom with an element that sits on top or the rock, water pan and then two cooking grates. There is no temperature adjustment, it seems to cruise at 225* grate temp.

Now that the questions have started......I don't know the first thing about a water smoker. :confused: The cooking temp is fixed, so that's a constant, access for additional wood is through a door like a WSM has. The water pan holds a lot of water, and the instructions mention refilling it every 4 hours or so. Was wondering if sand is an option to using water??

Any tips on this cooker from owners would be appreciated

That was my very first smoker also, still have the dang thing!

Temp is pre-set at about 240, depending on the wind. :roll:
I started using sand and found clean-up much easier and it held temp better.

Good started smoker, have fun!

BTW, use chunks NOT touching the element for extended smoking times! :biggrin:

I have a Brinkmann Smoke & Grill, which I bought the electric conversion kit to convert it to electric... Used it once with the electric element, couldn't maintain a temp over 150*... built my UDS and now I use it to rest my UDS's Weber lid whenever I need a place to put it.

sand is an option and should help hold temps more steady. as water evaoporates the temps will climb..at least that has been my experience with my GOSM.

I have never used water in any of my WSM's and would recommend filling the pan with Lava rocks or Ceramic briqs for gas grills, then foiling the pan and then using a drip pan on top of it.

100_2242.jpg

I go it one further and place a cheapo pizza stone on top of the lava rocks/ceramic briqs.

100_2243.jpg

No mess, I just take a layer of foil and fashion a drip tray and toss it after the cook.
Its just a heat sink, sand will work and a lot of WSM users go with the "clay pot mod" in the pan.

100_2245.jpg

Here is a linky I started that gave me some trial and error with both the claypot and eventually settling on my setup. In all honesty, at the time I was planning to get a Stoker or Guru but I've got the WSM's dialed in like this and don't see the need. But probably will eventually!

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/9960084564

My 1st smoker was electric, I took it back, my wife hated the taste of the food. My BBQ'ing almost came to an end, even before I got started.

I have had one for years but mine is propane. Same principal but adjustable temps. I have always had good success using water in the pan. I think the refill time is more like 3 hours. Don't know if it makes a lot of difference but I used Coke,apple juice,Sprite,beer and other liquids in my water pan. Food always turned out well.

i have used mine for about 6 years and it is great to use except on cold or windy days it will take forever. i only used the water pan a few times as it doubled the cooking time and did not seem make much difference. the food was always good and almost impossible to overcook. i use it as a grill a lot also because since the middle section comes out you can move the rack to just above the heating element. taste so much better than a gas grill. if you have any specific questions send me a PM

Lava rocks in place of water with a drip pan (I used a pie pan) on top. Used mine for many years, but they do suck a lot of electricity.

Thanks everybody, I'll pass this information along...

This is a great thread. I just bought the Brinkman Gourmet Electric and did my first pulled pork roast. Turned out very good. I will be using this site a lot!!

Back