MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default The things that make a contest great - The prizes

The prizes

I'm not talking about the cash. That is spelled out before you get there. I'm talking the trophies. This is the main reason that I do it.

I haven't been to too many yet, but they seem a little bit lacking sometimes. I usually see just iron for first place and ribbons through 5th or maybe even 10th. The one in Racine that is coming up says that there are trophies through 5th place. I like that. I know Grill Kings does them through third, are they still doing that?

What does everybody else see at competitons?

How about unique trophies like the wood burned cutting boards?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Jeff_in_KC

Mostly ribbons... some better than others. And don't cut costs by having a ribbon that says "3rd Place" only! Tell me what it's for! Put the category on it. Tell me what date and what the contest name was! It's not that difficult.

I liked the plaques at Sedalia, MO this year. They were wood plaques in the shape of Missouri with a three dimensional type decorative plate oattached containing contest name, date and category. Pretty neat! That's my favorite one. Got one trophy this year but nothing too fancy. You wouldn't know it's a BBQ trophy unless you read the plate.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
voodoobbqIL
Full Fledged Farker

If memery serves Jeff doesn't one of your ribbons have no place at all of it? :)
Ole' Hickory CTO /
large BGE
2 x Weber 22.5 One Touch Silver (red , black)
Weber Smokey Joe
Char-Broil Gas Passer
voodoobbqIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

At Art of BBQ in Tulsa last weekend I noticed that the prizes were various plates and platters that appeared to be hand-painted. They were neat. I don't know how far down the placing order they went, though.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like platters or cutting boards... what I don't like is getting just one... I'd like to have a way to order, at cost, extras of same award. When I compete, I have a teammate, and I know we'd both like the award to show off, but with just one, that's tough to do.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoobbqIL
If memery serves Jeff doesn't one of your ribbons have no place at all of it? :)
Yeah, that's a sore spot with me dang it! For 8th place ribs at Grand Rapids, the ribbon says "Honorable Mention". HONORABLE MENTION!! 8th place out of 56 teams and all I got was "Honorable Mention"! Explain THAT to someone who wasn't there while they're looking over your awards! Actually, 6th through 10th ribbons in each category say "Honorable Mention" Fark that!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

I want a little brown jug.

The trophies and ribbons are nice and last much longer than the cash, however I remember a thread here not long ago where some were complaining about a contest that is coming up because the cash awards were so small. I like the trophies AND the cash.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead

The trophies and ribbons are nice and last much longer than the cash, however I remember a thread here not long ago where some were complaining about a contest that is coming up because the cash awards were so small. I like the trophies AND the cash.
Cash awards are usually known before you sign up.If you don't like they don't like the amount, they don't have to sign up. Think I said that in the original post.

American Picker Blog

Last edited by parrothead; 07-19-2006 at 05:33 PM..
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Funny thing at Dothan recently.
They had trophies for the BackYard event.
Pro was "paycheck" only. Paying 10 places deep.
No trophies, ribbons, or .....nothin' but $$. Weird
I let it slide cause there was only two "hiccups" on a first year event and I can live with that. And, trophies do cost money. And, I liked my $$

I think ribbons suck- period.
If it is worth an award, it is worth at least a tiny trophy.
Our 8th place ribs at Key Largo got us a teenie-tiny little trophy--maybe 4" high. But, it was brass and looks KEWL on a mantle, display shelf at a comp, or on a web page.
At Starke last fall, I cooked with Kevin (HomeBBQ). First place and upper trophies were huge with little BBQ smokers on top of each. Impressive with the thought given to do that!
Heavy to lug all that brass back cause Kevin was on a tear and basically won it all!

Except for Key Largo and Dothan, most events we have done award brass for 1-5 with ribbons below. Best I can remember anyway.

Keep the ribbons (except for lots of them in Kid's Que), IMHO!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead
I want a big whiskey barrel.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

At the Lake Placid event they gave Olympic style medals for gold, silver and bronze for first thru third. I thought that was very cool (even though I didn't win one!)

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

personally i like a little bit of cash even if it just covers gas or meat costs..
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Banners for the GC.
And maybe 1st in each meat at huge contests.

Those vinyl banners are great for your cook site or den.
Permanent recognition.

Should be able to get a local sign company to donate them in return for a small, discrete "Donated by ........" in a lower corner or listing them as a sponsor.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

I'lll have to say I like the money to help do the next one. But i like the trophy for the memories!

We have a special trophy that will be unveiled at the Boone County Fair this weekend!

I think Jay really wnats it bad. "L"

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

One of the local contest here does handmade ceramic trophies and cash. The only complaint I have is that all the trophies are the same size (1st through 3rd) they have an engraved metal tag that says what place and for what, but I would like to see first get a bigger one than third.

Here is a pic of the trophy - might be a small pic, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trophy-88x157[1].jpg (3.0 KB, 52 views)

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote