Cook Time Question

sonickat

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone! This is my first post here, I did a search and couldn't find the answer to this so hopefully I am not asking a question that has been answered a thousand times. I also did some googling and didn't come up with any solid answers so here goes.

When your talking about cook times for Smoking or BBQ generally people will give you a cook time per pound of meat. My question is is there a difference in cook time between one huge slab of meat versus multiple smaller slabs. How do you calculate that.

For example I am planning to do my first smoke for family members on fathers day. I've been smoking single tri-tips in my smoker for awhile and I am comfortable with approximate cook times based on tip.

But what happens when I smoke 2, 3, or even 4 of them at once in the smoker.

Is there some sort of rule of thumb that applies? It doesn't make sense that it would be an exponential cook time otherwise things like chicken halves would take FOREVER to smoke.

I'm also planning to try to smoke some extra Meatloafs next time I make a smoked Meatloaf and wondering how to estimate my cook times when I start adding loafs to the cooker.

Thanks in Advance.

As long as there is room between each piece on the racks, and there is also room between the walls of the cooker and the meat, then the time will not be too much different. It will take a little longer since the cooker will have to work harder to get the pieces warmed up, but it's not going to double your time or anything crazy like that. If the pieces are too close together, then the cook time will go up drastically, because now you are essentially cooking one larger piece of meat instead of multiple pieces. Also, if the pieces are in so tight that they are touching the walls of the cooker, then you will not get as good of air circulation in the cooker, possibly causing temp issues.

Thanks for the response, that is pretty much what I thought.

The tri-tips that I can get at the store are only 2-3 Lbs each, there is usually 2-3 inches of clearance between them and the wall of the cooker. Theres several more inches above and below the meat.

Welcome to the neighborhood. There is a "Cattle Call" forum where you can introduce yourself.

Here goes with some answers.....

When your talking about cook times for Smoking or BBQ generally people will give you a cook time per pound of meat. My question is is there a difference in cook time between one huge slab of meat versus multiple smaller slabs. How do you calculate that.

It's really a combination of estimated times and internal temperatures. DON'T rely on time alone.....Let's use a pork butt (shoulder, Boston butt) as an example. They take 1.5 to 2 hours per pound at 250° pit temp. So an 8 pound one will take 12 to 16 hours, which is a big window. With all meats it's best to keep track of time and monitor internal temperature with a probe thermometer and and monitor tenderness with something like an ice pick. (However, that rule of thumb will usually not apply to a real small one butt)

For example I am planning to do my first smoke for family members on fathers day. I've been smoking single tri-tips in my smoker for awhile and I am comfortable with approximate cook times based on tip.

But what happens when I smoke 2, 3, or even 4 of them at once in the smoker.

Is there some sort of rule of thumb that applies? It doesn't make sense that it would be an exponential cook time otherwise things like chicken halves would take FOREVER to smoke.

Well think of baking one potato or 4 potatoes. You don't add extra time for that.....As long as your roasts or chickens or whatever are not real close to each other, several should cook close to the same time as a single one. (there might be a difference in heat flow if your grate is full). You might notice a slight drop in pit temp when you put several items on because the meat is cold. Just leave your settings alone and the cooker will recover in a few minutes.

I'm also planning to try to smoke some extra Meatloafs next time I make a smoked Meatloaf and wondering how to estimate my cook times when I start adding loafs to the cooker.

Just space them evenly on the grate and watch the internal temperature. If you have a hot zone in your cooker, you may want to rotate them to balance everything out. (doneness and color) It's a good idea to take notes so you can duplicate or change your technique.

You got two real fine answers... Not much I could add except to reiterate that you want to get as much space between them as you can...

I did the cook down in Dayton and we actually packed my cooker far tighter than I ever would have to slow down part of the cook... In that case we had 4 full hams on and still had to cook 5 full pork loins... By starting the hams earlier and then packing it with the pork loins later I was able to control the cook better... They all came out at basically the same time cooked just right...

Back