primo oval

mbshop

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
anyone have/use one ? how are they ? need any info at all. thanks,

I looked at one the primo guys had set up at a comp two weeks ago. It had some great features that i haven;t seen in other cookers. The ability to cook direct on one side and indirect on the other, Have different grill heights on the two sides, and many more features i am forgetting. I was really impressed with them. If i ever take the plunge and buy a new ceramic, it may be one of these.

I'd do it again...

Closing in on 1:00 and I have two butts on the Primo Jr. Not the XL, just the little Jr! I've also cooked a good sized full brisket without any concerns.

If you haven't picked up on it yet... Yes, I really enjoy the Primo. First, there are all the benefits of ceramic cooking. The extra space from the oval shape is a great bonus. Earlier this evening I grilled hamburgers. Tonight it's low and slow for butts. It can hold temp for 10 - 12 hours without a concern.

I use an extension on one side only occasionally but use the deflector racks constantly. I had a set of fire bricks already so didn't look at the D plates that are available now. Suspect they would be nicer as the bricks are a bit thick.

So, before I go all gushy on this thing. Any questions in particular?

thanks. just kinda looking into something like this and seen the primo mentioned. i like the oval design and the mentioned pluses. i'm selling a big tool box and thought i might buy an egg but then this came up. any pluses or minuses would be appreciated. jr vs xl, etc. the versatility just seems more my speed. kinda odd that the primo site is really insufficient. thanks,

What was in my mind?

I was heading down the egg path myself when the Primo caught my eye. First let me say that I don't know of a single person who has complained about owning an egg. Well, there is that one guy. But he's a stick burner that can't relate. Many on this forum own multiple eggs.

I went with the Primo because of the oval shape. It just fit more stuff in a smaller footprint. Most frequently it's just my wife and I that I'm cooking for. Never more than 6 people. I didn't need anything bigger. I've since found that I have size envy from time to time - but still have no reason for a larger grill. Just bigger toys.

Support has been great. I was concerned about cracks that formed on the inside of my firebox. They had me email some pictures and then sent me a replacement. I've had my Primo for two years and cook right through the winter.

I've never cooked on an egg so couldn't tell you if there are any significant differences. The only drawback that I'm aware of is Pizza stones. They're all round and I've not found one that I like that would fit. Haven't knocked myself out looking either.

Back