Comp Vending Suggestions

Fishiest1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all, just looking for some feedback.

We are doing a comp next week and was trying to think of things that might sell better than others. I was thinking that it might be hard to try sell pulled pork against 50 or so other venders doing the same thing so was looking for different ideas.

A buddy of mine did gator tail last week and sold out qwik! I wonder if it would be crazy to try to do a crawfish boil. What about smoked Keilbasa sammis? I was also thinking about doing sliders instead of regular sized sammis that you could sell for 2-3 bucks.

What about a hot wing challenge there? Something that if they eat all 5 wings they get them free or something.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions!

Pig candy! I would shell out money anytime, anywhere for pig candy!

Pig Candy! Good Idea! Thanks!

Any other Suggestions or things to steer clear of?

Just guessing--is this the Haines City event you are talking about?

If so, they had a huge crowd last year and I understand the vendors did well.

Good Luck to you.

TIM

One year we saw a guy with marinated shrimp on skewers that he grilled briefly -- labor-intensive, but he sold out quick at premium prices.

Hey all, just looking for some feedback.

We are doing a comp next week and was trying to think of things that might sell better than others. I was thinking that it might be hard to try sell pulled pork against 50 or so other venders doing the same thing so was looking for different ideas.

A buddy of mine did gator tail last week and sold out qwik! I wonder if it would be crazy to try to do a crawfish boil. What about smoked Keilbasa sammis? I was also thinking about doing sliders instead of regular sized sammis that you could sell for 2-3 bucks.

What about a hot wing challenge there? Something that if they eat all 5 wings they get them free or something.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions!

How many folks are on your team? From past experience this is not always a great idea if you're competing. It can be a distraction if not manned correctly.

I have do lots of whole hogs with great success its a great draw to your site.

This may sound funny, but I would suggest hot dogs.

First couple of comps I did, my son would always find someone selling hotdogs and 1/2 the time they were sold out. Don't know how many they sold, but it would not be difficult/expensive to have 100 or so on hand.

Probably won't sell many to adults, but you might sell a bunch of BBQ to parents that stood in line to get a hotdog for their kid.

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.

How many folks are on your team? From past experience this is not always a great idea if you're competing. It can be a distraction if not manned correctly.

3 dads and two 12 year olds.
We are all new to BBQ but one of us is a Culinary Inst of America grad and caterer. We will rely on him a lot for the vending while I try not to screw up the comp food. We aren't going to win or anything like that so figure we will try to not lose our shirts and try to make it up with some vending.

Yeah your correct about the pulled pork but it's what you do with the pulled pork to be different that sells. We do pulled pork stuffed potatoes. We precook them almost all the way at home so they don't take as long at the comp. Then we fill with a light slather of butter,pulled pork,bbq sauce and a canned cheese sauce. We buy bulk as in large bags of taters and #10 cans of cheese sauce. Last comp we sold 200 in 4 hours at $4.00 each to keep it affordable. And this was a very small comp. I think by buying at Costco we have less than .50 into each serving. We also do cheese dogs for the kids that are pure profit also. Good luck let us know what you decide. Moink balls were a hit too. Also easy and cheap to make.

I didnt realize competitors were allowed to vend. Im gonna have to check with our organizers on this.

Back