Very Simple Stainless UDS

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
First, my thanks to all the great contributions of the Brethren and Sistren in the UDS Thread. My goal was to use best ideas I saw to produce a very simple stainless UDS.

This has a Weber Performer Lid with the built-in thermostat and the stainless draft door from Big Green Egg.

SSUDS.jpg

Removable lid seal insert made from old Bar-B-Kettle bottom cut to leave 2" w/ Rutland stove gasket attached to it with high-temp silicon.

RemovableLidSeal.jpg

(Trial run last night was a 14 lb brisket packer, cooked at 300 degrees until probe tender in 5 1/2 hours. Outdoor temperature was low 20's w/ snow showers. Cooked it Lockhart style with outstanding results -- thank you Funk for all the great info you have shared.)

I am going to add handles, but not much more. I like the simplicity.

For some reason I like to see the lines that people marked where the bolts are going in.
Very nice build!:eusa_clap

Wish I would have got that blue kettle before you!!!
That is an awesome build and should be the model everyone copies.

Wish I would have got that blue kettle before you!!!
That is an awesome build and should be the model everyone copies.

The Performer Lid is from my Blue Stainless Performer and I will use it on both the UDS and the Performer.

Very nice looking smoker. Now ya need to get it dirty by cooking on it a lot.

Lockhart style? I'm a fan of that style, but I'm not sure how to get it.

Very nice UDS build, too!

Very nice build, How did you remove the top?
I have a SS barrel I have been planning and I tried a drum deheader, but instead of the material puncturing, it just stretches. The nature of SS I guess, I plan to give cutting it a try.

I have a SS barrel I have been planning and I tried a drum deheader, but instead of the material puncturing, it just stretches. The nature of SS I guess, I plan to give cutting it a try.

This one has a removable flat lid with a locking ring. I plan to use that lid too.

SawZall (and ear plugs!) Get a pack of blades- I destroyed 3 cutting mine.

Real nice drum Jim :-D

Now if I could only get my kettle lid to fit like that. :cry:

Back