MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
thinbluebbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Best Way to Gather New Team Members

Thanks to all who post regularly on this site and make it a great source of information. Our team, Thin Blue BBQ, just wrapped up our first professional season competing in KCBS events. We had a great year and gathered a number of awards.

For 2011, we are wanting to find some new members to make the events more enjoyable and to keep building our competitive nature, but we are struggling to figure out how to find other folks interested in getting serious about Que and joining a team. We've posted on Facebook, etc. but just looking for advice on building up the team roster.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Brian Herbert
Thin Blue BBQ
Indianapolis, IN
thinbluebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Most successful "teams" are husband and wife teams. If you want to get a group of guys to cook a contest together, have a good time, and not really worried about the outcome, you should have no issues getting people. If you want to be serious and be competitive, you already have enough team members.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

The Bullsheet is one option to find new team members. I started my team in May 2010 and have competed 3 times. I've been lucky to have one other person that has been there for all 3. Usually, what I find is people are interested but not at the level of commitment that I expect and need. It's easy finding some buddies to come along for the fun, but to commit at a level to seriously compete, well I know it can be tough. I would stick with who you have already and if you are really serious then I would look for ways to minimize the work load, if possible. My biggest problem is funding and I'm sure I'm not the only one who lacks the financial means to continually fund what it costs to compete on a regular basis. I'm sitting out a contest I'd love to compete in because of the costs. Give it some time, look in the right places, and I'm sure you'll get dedicated people eventually. Good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

How about the BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring forum?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36971
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was blessed with getting two team members when we first started that were as committed (OK, should have been committed some where I'm sure) as I was. The three of us were/are the core of the team (until we added Ramona (my GF) so now it's the four of us).

We have a number of guys (all friends of core members) that can only do some of the competitions but not all of them. We welcome them in with open arms and with the understanding that they are to do what the core members requests and we know that they are with us to have fun and help out where they can.

Please understand that we don't go out of our way to make it tough on them, but there are certain jobs that they aren't going to be doing simply because they aren't around enough to know if we've changed something. To be honest, we are easier on them if they want to wander around and check out what's going on than we are with ourselves.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I enjoy cooking by myself. The only time I like help I when it is time to run boxes. Because I don't have a runners physique. :)

Old 10-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
trueque
Full Fledged Farker

Be careful what you wish for...

This year I witnessed a team split apart based on lack of commitment (time and money) and another "all family" team split as well. Not sure why, but its none of my business.

We are a father and son team, 2010 was our first season and we competed in ten competitions (May-Oct). My son is ten, so I limit him on what he can do and it was not an easy start. However, each comp got easier and easier to setup, prep, cook, sleep, clean up and break down. It is a long two days, but it is manageable.

I have tried to get a friend or two to help out, but it is more work keeping them engaged when they don't have the desire or commitment to do much more than visit and drink.

My wife helped me on one comp and it was awesome. One extra set of adult hands definitely helps, but I don't think more is always better. Too many cooks in the kitchen can spoil the fun quickly. I enjoy bbq competitions because they are fun!

Backwoods Party
trueque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Too many conflicts to pick up other team members. With a one person team, you call the shots and take the responsibility. Things get done the way you want them and if they don't you have no one else to blame. I compete with my daughters and my sister in the summer months. When they aren't around, I will go off with a buddy, who knows his role or I will also compete on my own. I'll live and die with the expenses and the wins.

If you do decide to go that route, realize that it is way easier to have your friends on the same page as yourself, than having a complete stranger agreeing with you. Money always changes things and friendships.

Good luck!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle

Last edited by Scottie; 10-20-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I have had the pleasure of cooking with two other talented cooks as a team.
Due to "circumstances", it is now just Mrs Kapn and me.
She stepped up to the plate last year and has been a godsend.

To me, any more than two cooks makes it a mess, unless you are doing parties (AR type), vending, or some of the MIM/MBA events.

I found both of my former partners right here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another Brother is cooking with me this weekend at Jesup, GA. Russ is a gem and we are looking forward to a 3 person team for this weekend only.
Workload???? Not much with 3 for this one

Good luck.

TIM

Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

It is just my wife and I, she knows I do pretty much everything on my own, but a couple extra hands are nice!!

I have one friend that will come to the ones he can make or when the wife can't make it. I also found some guys from the area that I knew from a local bbq comp. I asked them if they would be interested in helping out a comp or two if I needed someone, they were ecstatic. He said he couldn't handle it all of the time though!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

A lot of good comments here. Swing Dings is my gig and has been since day one. I pay all the expenses. I invite close friends and family to assist me. When we walk, we go up together. We all have a good time and everyone does his/her part.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Most successful "teams" are husband and wife teams. If you want to get a group of guys to cook a contest together, have a good time, and not really worried about the outcome, you should have no issues getting people. If you want to be serious and be competitive, you already have enough team members.
For KCBS, FBA, GBA, etc. it's just 2 of us, either my wife and I or an old
buddy of mine and myself. 2 is plenty for these types of cookoffs. When
there's 3 of us, we just use the 3rd person as a runner.

HOWEVER, for MBN we're combining 2 KCBS teams and we're still only able
to compete effectively in 2 of the 3 main categories.
You dont see many MBN teams with less than 6 people, and then it's usually 4 or 5 ...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Brian! Good to see you here.

Saw your facebook post about this. Great advice from the others! Are you also looking to add people to spread out the expense? Marc and I have been doing the same thing but casually. I think you'll find this is a slow process and you and Tommy (I'm guessing) will be the core for some time. We regularly invite people we know are into BBQ to join us at comps but there is only one guy so far we would even consider asking to join the team. He has been great because he is good at keeping Marc and I on task and schedule, knows where to pitch in when needed and equally important when to step back. Finding someone that wants to do more than just hangout is a challenge, finding someone dedicated enough to share expenses is damn near impossible.

Hey - next year if you need help on a weekend we aren't competing give me a shout!
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
Hey Brian! Good to see you here.

Finding someone that wants to do more than just hangout is a challenge, finding someone dedicated enough to share expenses is damn near impossible.
Yeah. I think that's pretty much the norm.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe there is Bro from the brethren in your area that wants start a team. Our team just Jr and I sometimes wife.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote