My first UDS Charcoal Basket

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My first UDS Charcoal Basket! I am so proud it worked like a champ first time out. Might open it up a little more for more charcoal to get longer burn time. I got a little over 12 hours cooking 8 butts.

100_2167.jpg

100_2168.jpg

So here are the pictures so I made it! :biggrin::biggrin:

Wow thats a really tall fire basket. you could have a 40hr burn time with that thing.

Cut that baby a least half way down or roll it the other way so it's wider and lower.

I didnt fill it all the way

Cut that baby a least half way down or roll it the other way so it's wider and lower.

But I will expand it out to be larger. There is some overlay at the seem so I could make it larger.

You could it in half and then you would have a basket for the next UDS you build too.:cool:

My 1st basket looked just like yours (tall & narrow). I worked ok, but I let it out to make it wider so the coals wouldn't be so close to the meat. I like having it tall though, it's just the right hight to rest my diffuser on top of it.

Nice job!

I went tall with my first one. Cut a 2'x2' piece of expanded stainless in half and rolled it. My next one I'm cutting into 8" strips and going around the outside of of the grate.

Nice job :thumb: And you even had some change left from buying the material.:becky::becky:

It is still in use at the farm when I am there i always cook a chitload while working and yes I can get almost 24 hours outta a burn. :heh:

Off topic...love the avatar...it reminds me of Mick Hart...LOL sure he's injected a butt or two also:becky:

On Topic...Good Advice abot the FR.

Back