logo

Boston butt cooking too fast?

Jon David

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I started my butt at 11pm, it's 10lbs and my UDS has been between 215 and the highest so far was 244, and my maverick is telling me that it's already at 142, does this sound right? It's only my second butt cook on my UDS and my first was only a 3 pounder and I had no digital thermometer to tell. With a 10lb butt I figured atleast 12-13 minimum going by the 1.5 hours per pound rule.

Yeah it'll skyrocket until it reaches between 165-175 degrees. It's called "the stall." At that point in time it'll just sit, and sit, and sit at those temps until the fat begins to render out and then the temperature will continue to climb.

That's why a lot of the time you'll see people swear by not going over the temps. The "feels like butter" phrase that's very popular around here is basically saying, "When all the farking fat renders out it'll be soft as melted butter" because melted fat is melted fat in the end.

Every piece of meat is different. Like DubfromGA, wait for the stall.

all kind of balances out in the end. If it does end up being done early, just wrap it and cooler it. Ive had butts that after 6hrs in a cooler are still too hot to pull by hand

I'm at a loss I cook hotter(300) and I don't monitor the meat temp.

BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

im having the same issue now with 2 briskets. climbed up to 150 in like 2 hours at 200f and now it seems like it has stalled

Here's how to tell if it's done. Hold your arm straight out from your side. Feel your shoulder muscle (deltoid). The muscle should be very firm. Not done. Now let your arm hang straight down and relaxed. Raise your hand and lightly touch your neck resting your arm on the front of your chest. Now feel the front of the deltoid. It should be soft and easy to move about. That's how your butt should feel when it's done. Works with brisket also.

It's going to be tough to get that butt over 200 degrees when you're trying to cook TOO LOW IMHO. Let that go 244+, 250, 260, 270 not bad at all.

Here's how to tell if it's done. Hold your arm straight out from your side. Feel your shoulder muscle (deltoid). The muscle should be very firm. Not done. Now let your arm hang straight down and relaxed. Raise your hand and lightly touch your neck resting your arm on the front of your chest. Now feel the front of the deltoid. It should be soft and easy to move about. That's how your butt should feel when it's done. Works with brisket also.

The hokey pokey!

I'm at a loss I cook hotter(300) and I don't monitor the meat temp.

BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

It's going to be tough to get that butt over 200 degrees when you're trying to cook TOO LOW IMHO. Let that go 244+, 250, 260, 270 not bad at all.

I agree, my last pulled pork was a picnic cooked at 300°-325°, probe tender after 6 1/2 hours. No loss of sleep on an overnighter is a good thing at my age.:biggrin1:

Back