MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
jawsfree
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default cyberQ wifi still a flop

the cyberQ wifi is still a flop. I have spend several hours trying to get this @$%# thing connected to my router with no luck. It seems my router (Linksys E4200v1) won't recognize the cyberq wifi I'm really not sure what to do next. I have updated the firmware on the cyberQ and the router and no luck. Such a disappointment, spent a lot of money on this and not much use.

Jason
jawsfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Do they offer any tech support? Give them a call.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
BoomerTheWeim
Got rid of the matchlight.

Did you have a chance to check this thread out?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135197
BoomerTheWeim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Call them they have Great customer service
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
jawsfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerTheWeim View Post
Did you have a chance to check this thread out?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135197
Thanks I just read through and tried those ideas with no luck. It looks the router and the cyberq aren't handshaking or even looking at each other at this point, I just wish I could get them to talk

Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
BoomerTheWeim
Got rid of the matchlight.

Did you change the ip address and subnet on the cyber q so that it's in the same network?
BoomerTheWeim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
jmoney7269
Banned

How well does thE adhoc mode work. Fixing to get one when my BBQ vault arrives in a week. Or should I just get another trusty digiqdx2?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
jawsfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
How well does thE adhoc mode work. Fixing to get one when my BBQ vault arrives in a week. Or should I just get another trusty digiqdx2?
the adhoc works fine but not on any android device, adhoc is not compatible with android so you will need a iphone.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

What net service do you have? Some change the IP addy everytime you start up (wild blue comes to mind, in the past)...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

All I can say is, if this unit is Wifi connectable there is a setting you are missing.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

I got a CyberQ WiFi for Christmas, and had problems. I also have an Android phone and can not use adhoc mode. After about 4 hours of playing tonight, I got it to work.

I have a Linksys E4200 v2.0.37 wireless router.

I set the encryption on the CyberQ to "open" and disabled security on my wireless router, and it connected right up. That told me it was an encryption problem.
I then played around with the encryption settings, and finally found a pair that works.
By setting the CyberQ to "WPA2, Phrase" and the router to "WPA2 Personal", I was able to get them to connect right up with the passphrase.

When I restart the unit, it always displays "NO NETWORK" but after about 10 or 15 seconds, it connects up. By going to the "WIFI SETUP" screen, you can find out what IP, DHCP assigned to it. As long as you are connecting to it from your own LAN, further configuration isn't needed, but I'll probably configure the whole thing anyway. I did password protect the user interface though.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 12-28-2012 at 01:11 AM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Unfortunately getting these things to play well nearly requires some level of network administration certification.

The best thing is to lock down as many settings as possible. Most networks automatically assign IP addresses each time a device connects to the network. This is typically done through DHCP. Find the MAC address (every network device - including the cyberq - has one) for the cyberq and manually set the IP address for it. Manually set the subnet mask as well. Port routing becomes infinitely simpler this way.

It's already been mentioned that playing with network security settings will become necessary too. This is because different companies call protocols different things because of copyright laws combined with marketing initiatives. You may have to search for some detailed descriptions of the available protocols and figure out which ones line up.

The biggest advice is lock as many settings down manually as possible. Automatic just means you can't fix it yourself.

The BBQ Guru guys always seem to have great support available. They should be able to provide some valuable insight too. I wouldn't hesitate to ask them. After all, you did give them a nice chunk of change.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

restart your router after getting everything set up... Worked for me.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
jawsfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
All I can say is, if this unit is Wifi connectable there is a setting you are missing.
I'm sure your right. That's my relationship with computers I can get close but no cigar

Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
BobM
Babbling Farker

I played with my CyberQ a bit more today.

I turned DHCP off, and configured all the network settings manually. It now has a static IP, so I don't have to check the "WIFI SETUP" screen to verify what IP DCHP gave it.

I set up port forwarding on my router, and can get into the CyberQ from the internet.

Network wise, it seems solid.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 12-28-2012 at 11:42 AM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote