MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #91
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

barbefunkoramaque,

From Metallic "Garage" Disk II track 11, , "So What" (not suitable for Qtalk). (So Farking What was the base theme of the track.)

My Pal and co-worker, married 3 times and divorced 3 times and in the process got several DUI's used to insist that we play that on the way to work each morning "to get ready for the stress of the day". After what he had been through, it pretty much summed up how he felt.

I just played it, in his memory and somehow made me feel like he was still with us.

Music is good!

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #92
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary
Exclamation funky smell

Well today I decided to give this experiment a try. So I opened her up to give it a good rinsing and noticed there was a strange, funky smell to it! I first I that it was just me thinking of the funk-master (barbefunk) but the odor hung around for too long.

To my shock and pissed-off-ness I realized the flat I bought was corn-beefed flavored Oh well, i guess it is befitting that I make that since its St. Patty's Day. I'll try it another day.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #93
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Methinks a little leprechaun came by and pulled a trick on ye!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #94
Corona King
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Anyone who does not like Prince has not heard or seen him perform, Traffic is my favorite all time band , Stevie Ray, and Jimi a close 2nd or 3rd, and Prince can hold his against any of them.
Corona King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #95
leanza
Babbling Farker

Damn!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #96
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ya think they really get it?

I feel your pain Brother. I been telling them to keep thier traps shut for a long time! Heat is pressure and viceversa.i.e.heat+pressure+moisture=tenderness, simple. The KISS method.
S/CBP even heat(gotta be diligent) and patience

Rock on Bubba

Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #97
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

I thought Prince died until I seen that travesty of a super bowl halftime show! Now I wish he would just go away again!

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #98
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

This question came at me from my good friend Zilla. I thought my response should be in here for all to share.

"So how did you enjoy your first semester teaching?"

Great. I love the Special Ed kids... they love my pig candy too.

"Just reread the Jetton thread, love it. Another question for you. In a different thread you suggested that everyone try your mothers baked brisket recipe at least once for process sake I beleive. As I recall the meat was seasoned with S&P and laid meat side down on an aluminum sheet and held in the fridge overnight then baked. What do you think the mechanics of the process are? Does the aluminum play a part (salt, water, metal, electrolysis, ionization, micro brining and capillary action drawing the flavor up)? I figured the meat sitting in the salt seasoning created a micro brine environment between the meat and the flat tray keeping the meat in constant contact with salt solution and capillary action did the rest. I figured if the meat side were facing up all the moisture would run off to the fat cap and would kill the process. I did this with my comp ribs and brisket two weeks ago when I forgot my stuff in the fridge at home and had great results. I used foil though. I had a discussion with a friend at a Christmas party last weekend about it, I just wanted your thoughts on this.
Thanks Donnie and Merry Christmas!"

The purpose of this thread was to create idea conditions for a tender brisket so everyone would understand "the feel." We can share numberical equivalents on the net, IT, time cooked, rub ratios, but "feel" is something you have to experience.

With this experience we set aside BBQ and smoking all together and gradually remove any components (rub, injections ect.) so that only two factors contribute to the experiement. I chose salt/pepper so people kept it simple. This was not a BBQ experiement but a "Meat Cut" experiement.

This excercise is to place in the novices' mind, and the mind of someone who only reached for a brisket only to BBQ it THUS they may had never been exposed to its full tenderness. In addition... should you think it too tender, you have a zone you can pull back from... which is easier than the other way.... gradually increasing the cook until you get the tenderness you want... which only means $$$$$.

Fat position generally serves two purposes.... one is to protect the meat... the other to more gently provide cooking heat and moisture to the flat. For instance, long ago when the first calrod came out on electric stoves... they used to give you a diffuser. This kept the bottom of your stew pot for instance from burning your food. The fat cap is kind of the same thing. It also.. when you consider the meat dynamics... HOLDS in moisture like a BOWL... more effiecently that it could ever baste the meat.
BUT this is in MOST smokers.

In essense... once you have make the Night Train Brisket... as far as tendeness and juiciness... you have the example in your mind of where your brisket should be... yet you will be using LESS than ideal circumstances.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #99
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Re: Brisket - Night Train in a Dark Closet - for the Funky Only

Bump for newer folks
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #100
hugin
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Two questions and a bump!

Trying this experiment as I type, 2 hrs to go, at least until the 4 hr mark.

1st question: What would make it 4.5 versus 4 hours? A little bit bigger piece of meat? Will 30 min make that much of a difference in the result?

2nd question: With the thermostat of the oven going on and off, I think you're really saying that this is as close as we're going to get to an ideal environment. Right? Because the thermostat in the oven cycles the heat on and off, so temps go back and forth from 260-290. I submit that my BGE holds temp more steadily.

At any rate, thanks for this set of instructions. Definitely a good suggestion for someone who has gone from a 'B' to a 'D' to a 'B+" in brisket, and who has tried to learn just what that feel is.
hugin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #101
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugin View Post
Trying this experiment as I type, 2 hrs to go, at least until the 4 hr mark.

1st question: What would make it 4.5 versus 4 hours? A little bit bigger piece of meat? Will 30 min make that much of a difference in the result?

2nd question: With the thermostat of the oven going on and off, I think you're really saying that this is as close as we're going to get to an ideal environment. Right? Because the thermostat in the oven cycles the heat on and off, so temps go back and forth from 260-290. I submit that my BGE holds temp more steadily.

At any rate, thanks for this set of instructions. Definitely a good suggestion for someone who has gone from a 'B' to a 'D' to a 'B+" in brisket, and who has tried to learn just what that feel is.
There are too many variables to accredit it to 1 thing; rack position in the oven, accuracy of the thermostat, Grade of beef , Fat content....

Don't be so anal about it it's only BBQ, worrying about such things a temp swing you miss the point of the exercise which is how the meat reacts during the cook. Temp swing is a non issue I run the stick burner from 275-325 very similar or the electric box in you house or an electric smoker or a pellet pooper for that matter.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #102
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Shooting the HD Video to this today. Kitchen smells heavenly and driving the pregnant wife crazy.

I have a lot of commentary to add so it may be a while before the Nightrain Video is uploaded but Ill get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
There are too many variables to accredit it to 1 thing; rack position in the oven, accuracy of the thermostat, Grade of beef , Fat content....

Don't be so anal about it it's only BBQ, worrying about such things a temp swing you miss the point of the exercise which is how the meat reacts during the cook. Temp swing is a non issue I run the stick burner from 275-325 very similar or the electric box in you house or an electric smoker or a pellet pooper for that matter.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #103
Bludawg

Can't wait to see it "T" & Congrats to you and the Mrs Pitmaster "T" will it be whisky & cigars or coffee & doughnuts

Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #104
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

This one is a girl! I think that's Jack and Cigars!!!!!!

Edict.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #105
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Blue... I think I am losing my skills and timing. Today I made my usual roasted carrots and onions in a skillet with taters to roast in oil oil and rosemary - you know, to go with the brisket roast I am filming. I totally put the taters in with the damn carrots and they are mush now.

The other day I made my INCREDULOUS Salisbury Steak and added too much soup concentrate and made this jelly like mush as well. WTF?

Edict.