THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Sprouts $1.99/lb shoulder meat, that they normally use for 85% lean ground beef. BBQ'd @ 290F or so until 190F -- no foiling. Sliced without rest because we were hungry--was delicious! Was tender and moist.

fz3mfp.jpg

This was the first smoke on my upgraded Mini WSM -- upgraded from SJS to SJG; works great.

Wow. I will have to try one of those. Looks real nice.

Check out their ads each week at http://www.sprouts.com

They don't have the 85% lean ground beef on sale very often, maybe a few times a year. I think they charge like $3.99-$4.99/lb normally.

I bought 45 pounds of the shoulder (ground beef) meat and put them in deep freeze in original cryo packs.

2ecke94.png

By the way, are these "clod" cuts?

Based on that tendon that is running through the middle (which gets removed for flat irons), it sure looks like the clod. Nice work.

Btw, this is the biggest smoke ring I've ever had. I wonder if it is because I put the meat in semi frozen? It'd stay colder longer allowing more smoke in? Perhaps allow more cure / seasoning / salt in as well.

Also maybe being semi-frozen is why it used an almost full basket after 3 hrs at around 290F in 14F weather. Hrm, lol.

If I were to guess I'd say the very center internal temp was around 30F when I threw it on. The exterior being around 50F I'd say.

Thanks for identifying :) I guess this cut would be analogous to the picnic on a hog? Whereas the chuck would be the butt?

Actually it is the opposite. The clod is the upper muscle and the chuck roll is under it.

As for that price at Sprouts, was that an advertised special (if so at what location)? I checked my local specials online this morning, and it wasn't listed. Maybe they will give me that deal if I show them an add. $1.99 for clod is robbery. Even RD down here (pretty much the only place that stocks it unless you pay even more for a special order with a butcher) charges around $3.50.

Actually it is the opposite. The clod is the upper muscle and the chuck roll is under it.

As for that price at Sprouts, was that an advertised special (if so at what location)? I checked my local specials online this morning, and it wasn't listed. Maybe they will give me that deal if I show them an add. $1.99 for clod is robbery. Even RD down here (pretty much the only place that stocks it unless you pay even more for a special order with a butcher) charges around $3.50.

The sale was last week (expired 2 days ago). They normally charge around $4 per pound for that ground beef. Also, the ads are all different depending on location I found out. But if I were you I'd check http://www.sprouts.com ads each Tuesday and watch out for the deals. The week before I got farm fresh, non enhanced, whole chickens for 99 cents a pound and super tasty jack cheese for $1.99/lb. On sale this week are some really super tasty cherry's for $1.99/lb (normally around $6/lb they say).

Wow 1.99 is crazy, and you cooked it perfectly - Shoulder clod can handle hotter temps, I cook mine at 350 all the time. Hell, Kreuz Market in Lockhart says they cook theirs at 600.

The sale was last week (expired 2 days ago). They normally charge around $4 per pound for that ground beef. Also, the ads are all different depending on location I found out. But if I were you I'd check http://www.sprouts.com ads each Tuesday and watch out for the deals. The week before I got farm fresh, non enhanced, whole chickens for 99 cents a pound and super tasty jack cheese for $1.99/lb. On sale this week are some really super tasty cherry's for $1.99/lb (normally around $6/lb they say).

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it was last week. :sad: Sprouts just opened close enough for me to make it part of my regular rotation (lots of them in DFW but until now none were close enough to me to be worth the drive). I guess I need to do that since it is 2 blocks away from where my wife does her regular grocery shopping.

Back